Saturday 24 November 2001, 3:00pm at Reebok Stadium, Bolton
Barclays Premier League
Bolton Wanderers
Fulham FC

89' Yellow Card

Dean Holdsworth Card was given for a foul

75' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Dean Holdsworth
Off:Ricardo Gardner

84' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Gareth Farrelly
Off:Per Frandsen

86' Yellow Card

Rufus Brevett Card was given for a foul

69' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Luis Boa Morte
Off:Barry Hayles

69' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Lee Clark
Off:Steed Malbranque

Fulham and fellow promoted side Bolton Wanderers play out a goalless draw at the Reebok Stadium.
On the evidence of these dreadful 90 minutes, perhaps it would have been better if the players had gone ahead with their strike.

At least that would have saved everyone from having to endure a match as disappointing as this again.

This really was a no score bore and to be honest neither side deserved nil.

Bolton tried, but could not achieve anything, while Fulham seemed content with a point from the outset.

A draw maintains Fulham's revival and means they have collected 10 points from their last four games.

The result is more disappointing for Bolton and they have managed just two points and two goals from their last five Premiership home matches.

Their two goals against Everton remain all they have scored in that period and while most people fast after Christmas, Bolton have put the Reebok crowd on a strict no goals diet before the festivities have started.

It had all been so different before this first meeting of the sides in the top flight since February 1964.

Lyndon Johnson was still finding his way around the White House back then and both clubs have changed a great deal since.

After years of scraping to get by, big-spending Fulham can now afford to shop at Harrods, while Bolton are enjoying their best season for decades.

Sam Allardyce's side came into the match riding high in eighth place in the

Premiership and well on target to achieve his goal of staying up.

Bolton have surprised quite a few pundits by outperforming Fulham after the

Cottagers romped to the First Division title last season and Wanderers won promotion via the play-offs.

Bolton began determined to maintain that superiority and they had the better of what opening skirmishes there were Michael Ricketts went close in the opening seconds before Bolton goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen saved a shot from Sylvain Legwinski.

Per Frandsen then drove wide from a neat lay-off by Ricketts and Legwinski shot into the side netting from a narrow angle on the right.

Despite these tame efforts, the half did not really come to life until 10 minutes before the interval.

Fulham's Rufus Brevett gave the ball away to Kevin Nolan around 25 yards out and the midfielder hit a drive, which was expertly touched away for a corner by Edwin van der Sar.

Bolton turned up the heat and after a Frandsen free-kick and follow up had been blocked by Fulham, van der Sar saved a drilled Nolan effort.

It was all Bolton now and Ricketts saw a clipped effort drift just wide of van der Sar's right-hand post.

The half-time whistle came just at the wrong time for Bolton and the second half began as badly as the first had.

Fulham's Barry Hayles shot wide and headed over from a Louis Saha cross, but in the main it was awful stuff.

Fulham coach Jean Tigana tried to pep up his side and midway through the half he brought on Luis Boa Morte, who scored both goals in this fixture last season, and Lee Clark.

However there was no improvement and Sean Davis just about summed the match up when he blasted the ball high and wide from a decent chance 20 yards out.

Match Information

Competition: Barclays Premier League

Date: Saturday 24 November 2001
Kick-off: 3:00pm

Venue: Reebok Stadium, Bolton
Attendance: 21,159

Referee: Eddie Wolstenhome

Bolton Wanderers

Line-up: Jääskeläinen; Whitlow, N'Gotty, Bergsson, Charlton; Nolan, Frandsen (Farrelly 84'), Warhurst, Gardner (Holdsworth 75'); Ricketts, Wallace

Unused substitutes: Poole, Barness, Johnson


Line-up: Van der Sar; Finnan, Goma, Melville, Brevett; Malbranque (Clark 69'), Davis, Legwinski, Collins; Hayles (Boa Morte 69'), Saha

Unused substitutes: Taylor, Symons, Goldbaek

As It Stood Table

Pos Club Pl Pts
1 Liverpool 11 23
2 Leeds United 12 23
3 Newcastle United 13 23
4 Aston Villa 12 22
5 Manchester United 12 21
6 Tottenham Hotspur 14 21
7 Arsenal 12 20
8 Chelsea 13 20
9 Bolton Wanderers 14 20
10 Blackburn Rovers 14 19
11 Fulham 13 18
12 Everton 13 17
13 Sunderland 13 16
14 Middlesbrough 13 15
15 West Ham United 13 15
16 Charlton Athletic 13 14
17 Southampton 13 10
18 Derby County 13 10
19 Leicester City 14 10
20 Ipswich Town 13 8
Bolton Wanderers (4-4-2)
  • 22Jussi Jääskeläinen
  • 3Mike Whitlow
  • 2Bruno N'Gotty
  • 4Gudni Bergsson
  • 25Simon Charlton
  • 15Kevin Nolan
  • 8Per Frandsen
  • 6Paul Warhurst
  • 11Ricardo Gardner
  • 17Michael Ricketts
  • 21Rod Wallace
  • 30Kevin Poole
  • 24Anthony Barness
  • 14Gareth Farrelly
  • 28Jermaine Johnson
  • 10Dean Holdsworth
Fulham (4-4-2)
  • 1Edwin Van der Sar
  • 2Steve Finnan
  • 24Alain Goma
  • 4Andy Melville
  • 3Rufus Brevett
  • 14Steed Malbranque
  • 23Sean Davis
  • 18Sylvain Legwinski
  • 10John Collins
  • 15Barry Hayles
  • 20Louis Saha
  • 12Maik Taylor
  • 6Kit Symons
  • 8Lee Clark
  • 11Luis Boa Morte
  • 19Bjarne Goldbaek