Saturday 28 September 2002, 3:00pm at Goodison Park, Liverpool
Barclays Premier League
Campbell 45'; Gravesen 45'
Fulham FC

45' Goal

Kevin Campbell

45' Goal

Thomas Gravesen

37' Yellow Card

Thomas Gravesen Card was given for a foul

45' Yellow Card

Barry Hayles Card was given for a foul

45' Yellow Card

Pierre Wome Card was given for a foul

90' Yellow Card

Andy Melville Card was given for a foul

27' Substitution

Player was substituted due to an injury
On:Andy Melville
Off:Alain Goma

55' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Luis Boa Morte
Off:Junichi Inamoto

60' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Facundo Sava
Off:Barry Hayles

Two goals in a minute from Kevin Campbell and Thomas Gravesen saw Fulham slump to defeat at Goodison Park.

The final moments were taken up by a mass of pushing and shoving players -just like the scenes when these sides met last term at Craven Cottage - and brought about by frustration from the Londoners as much as anything else.  It was handbag stuff and Everton knew they had produced a telling victory.  

Everton's goals came in the final seconds of the first half through Kevin Campbell and Thomas Gravesen, and it could have been worse when two Tomasz Radzinski efforts hit the woodwork.  But this was more than an battling Everton comeback, it was the underlining of the work ethic, the sheer running power and effort - plus no little skill oftheir own - that boss David Moyes has begun to instil in this team.  Fulham started with great style and flow, but disintegrated when confronted by Everton's drive, passion, tackling and sheer refusal to give way.  When these two met last term at Craven Cottage, there was an FA inquiry into amass brawl.  Such was Fulham's bitterness at the end that referee Steve Dunn had to sort out another almost identical incident which ended with Kevin Campbell and Andy Melville booked and Fulham trooping off well beaten, totally overpowered.  Everton had started with telling changes from their previous debacle.   

Out went defender Alan Stubbs following the defensive errors that caused Everton to lose 3-2 at Aston Villa last Sunday, to be replaced by Nigerian Joseph Yobo, finally making his debut after a string of injuries since his post-World Cup move.  

Also in was Irishman Lee Carsley, making his first senior start of the seasonto beef up the Everton midfield against what is an increasingly speedy and mobile Fulham side.  Also on the bench for the first time time this season was striker Duncan Ferguson, having not been fit to play in a midweek reserve match with an ankleproblem.  Fulham, who had Steve Finnan back after injury, started as if they were goingto blow Everton away.   

They cut through their defence almost at will in a hugelyimpressive opening phase and somehow failed to score with their best break when Sylvain Legwinski, Steed Malbranque and Barry Hayles all failed with shots inthe same move.  

But Everton took a deep breath, regrouped and set about stemming the flow withsheer industry and effort, the hallmarks of Moyes' side these days.  When Fulham's passing was spot on, it was a joy to watch, but the west Londoners did overdo the clever stuff enough to allow Li Tie and Gravesen to gettheir tackles in.  

It was the beginning of a change in the pattern of a game that could easily have been beyond Everton by now. At the back, Yobo was winning every header and tackle he went for andconsistently finding a blue shirt with his clearances, qualities that were instantly winning over the home fans.  

Fulham then lost defender Alain Goma with a groin injury, to be replaced byAndy Melville, but by now Everton were more than a match all over the park.  

Everton's energy was making up for their lack of technique.   Carsley wascrowded out as he went for a neat Campbell return ball, and then Campbell'sflick found Radzinski in space, but he slipped in the act of shooting andMelville was able to hack the ball away.   

But the signs were there for Everton togain increasing encouragement.  And almost on half-time with Fulham thinking they had done enough to go in at the break all square, the roof fell in. 

First on 44 minutes, after referee Dunn had his book out to caution Pierre Wome for flattening Carsley, the resulting free-kick proved an aerial disasterfor Fulham.  

From Mark Pembridge's swirling free-kick, Campbell got a back header onto theball and sent it just inside the far post, Edwin Van Der Sar losing out in theair, as did all his defenders.  

Less than a minute later Everton scored again, Radzinski giving Gravesen theball and watching as the Dane raced through to unleash a fine 25-yarder that flashed past Van der Sar.  

Fulham ended up in the changing room shellshocked, Hayles booked seconds before the whistle for decking Yobo and the Londoners wondering what had hitthem.  

Everton maintained their pressure and Gravesen's free-kick curled inches widebefore Radzinski's follow-up from a Van Der Sar save from Gravesen's piledriver,failed to find the target.  

Japanese star Junichi Inamoto lasted another minute before manager Jean Tigana hauled him off to put on Luis Boa Morte, the Fulham man being booed loudly by the Everton fans for his part in the rumpus at Craven Cottage last season whenDavid Weir was sent off.  

Hayes was also heavily implicated in that row last season, and the home fans were far from impressed when Weir was left in a crumpled heap after a clash with Hayles.  A minute after that incident, Tigana took Hayes off, replacing him withFacundo Sava.  

Everton still kept powering forward and Pembridge's ball back to Dave Unsworthproduced a 30-yarder that Van der Sar managed to tip over the bar, the Dutchman soon making a miracle save from Campbell's diving header as Everton turned thescrew.  

Radzinski's pace and drive gave Fulham's back line a day of torture, and hehit the post while being fouled by Knight, and then saw another effort hit the woodwork after a Gravesen cross.  

Fulham were by now a shambles, upset by being tackled, constantly full of errors and spending their energies moaning at referee Dunn.  Van der Sar summed it up by falling over on his line trying to catch aRadzinski header, and only just recovering his composure to deny Li Tie his first goal in English football.  

There was no doubt Everton deserved this, it could have been more, and Fulham escaped what could easily have been a real drubbing

Match Information

Competition: Barclays Premier League

Date: Saturday 28 September 2002
Kick-off: 3:00pm

Venue: Goodison Park, Liverpool
Attendance: 34,371

Referee: Steve Dunn


Line-up: Wright; Hibbert, Yobo, Weir, Unsworth; Carsley, Gravesen, Pembridge, Tie; Campbell, Radzinski

Unused substitutes: Gerrard, Stubbs, Naysmith, Ferguson, Rooney


Line-up: Van der Sar; Finnan, Goma (Melville 27'), Knight, Wome; Inamoto (Boa Morte 55'), Davis, Legwinski, Malbranque; Marlet, Hayles (Sava 60')

Unused substitutes: Taylor, Clark

As It Stood Table

Pos Club Pl Pts
1 Arsenal 8 20
2 Liverpool 8 18
3 Middlesbrough 8 14
4 Manchester United 8 14
5 Chelsea 8 13
6 Tottenham Hotspur 8 13
7 Leeds United 8 12
8 Fulham 7 11
9 Everton 8 11
10 Newcastle United 7 10
11 Blackburn Rovers 7 9
12 Aston Villa 8 9
13 West Bromwich Albion 7 9
14 Birmingham City 8 8
15 Manchester City 8 8
16 Sunderland 8 8
17 Bolton Wanderers 7 7
18 Southampton 8 7
19 Charlton Athletic 8 7
20 West Ham United 7 5
Everton (4-4-2)
  • 1Richard Wright
  • 28Tony Hibbert
  • 20Joseph Yobo
  • 5David Weir
  • 6David Unsworth
  • 26Lee Carsley
  • 16Thomas Gravesen
  • 11Mark Pembridge
  • 12Li Tie
  • 9Kevin Campbell
  • 8Tomasz Radzinski
  • 35Paul Gerrard
  • 4Alan Stubbs
  • 15Gary Naysmith
  • 10Duncan Ferguson
  • 18Wayne Rooney
Fulham (4-4-2)
  • 1Edwin Van der Sar
  • 2Steve Finnan
  • 24Alain Goma
  • 16Zat Knight
  • 27Pierre Wome
  • 6Junichi Inamoto
  • 23Sean Davis
  • 18Sylvain Legwinski
  • 14Steed Malbranque
  • 7Steve Marlet
  • 15Barry Hayles
  • 12Maik Taylor
  • 4Andy Melville
  • 8Lee Clark
  • 11Luis Boa Morte
  • 9Facundo Sava