Sunday 27 October 2002, 3:00pm at St Mary's Stadium, Southampton
Barclays Premier League
Beattie (pen) 27', 42', 53'; Ormerod 72'
Fulham FC
Clark 15'; Malbranque 25'

27' Penalty

James Beattie

42' Goal

James Beattie

53' Goal

James Beattie

72' Goal

Brett Ormerod

38' Yellow Card

Michael Svensson Card was given for a foul

79' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Agustin Delgado
Off:Brett Ormerod

15' Goal

Lee Clark

25' Goal

Steed Malbranque

53' Yellow Card

Luis Boa Morte Card was given for a foul

73' Yellow Card

Alain Goma Card was given for a foul

59' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Abdeslam Ouaddou
Off:Zat Knight

63' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Barry Hayles
Off:Martin Djetou

Despite racing into an early 2-0 lead Southampton hit back with four goals, including a James Beattie hat-trick, to consign the Whites to a disappointing away defeat.

The Saints were 2-0 down with just 24 minutes on the clock, but roared back with their biggest goals spree since the New Year's Day massacre of Chelsea.  Lee Clark's deflected shot and Steed Malbranque's stunning finish gave Jean Tigana's men a big advantage early on - but Beattie, who had only scored once this season before this, struck from the penalty spot in the 26th minute.  His powerful header leveled at 2-2 after 41 minutes, and another display of aerial dominance after the break by the big front man clinched his treble and put Gordon Strachan's men ahead.  Brett Ormerod swept home number four with 18 minutes left to leave Saints fans rubbing their eyes with disbelief.  

Rory Delap was a late withdrawal from Strachan's side just minutes beforekick-off after complaining of feeling ill.  

Tigana made another raft of changes, which included the return of Clark for his first start since his serious Achilles injury.  

Southampton's ex-Cottagers winger Fabrice Fernandes looked lively on the rightflank, while England left-back Wayne Bridge was keen to attack on the opposite wing.  

Fulham hit back and Clark capped his first start for seven months with theopening goal - thanks to a lucky deflection - in the 16th minute.  

He burst forward and let fly from 22 yards, with the ball hitting MichaelSvensson, wrong-footing goalkeeper Antti Niemi and flying into the corner of his net.  

Fulham doubled their lead with 24 minutes gone, thanks to shocking Saintsdefending.  Steve Finnan was given time and space to screw a cross across the box - and Jason Dodd misjudged the delivery to allow Malbranque to sweep the ball home.  

But the Saints reduced the deficit to a single goal two minutes later, thanks to referee Mark Halsey's hand ball verdict against Alain Goma.  

Brett Ormerod's attempted cross hit the Frenchman's arm at close range and Halsey promptly pointed to the penalty spot.  Beattie gave Edwin van der Sar no chance from 12 yards, thundering his shotinto the top right corner.  

And Beattie was on the mark again four minutes before the break, taking advantage of non-existent Fulham marking to powerfully head home Fernandes' farpost cross.  

Fernandes gave a thrilling display of trickery three minutes after the interval, twisting Goma inside out to leave the Frenchman on the seat of hispants and shooting across the face of goal.  

And that proved a sign of things to come as Beattie soared highest to seal hishat-trick with a fine header in the 52nd minute.  

The big front man towered above Fulham centre-backs Goma and Zat Knight andvan der Sar failed to keep his header out.  

Fulham's defence were looking decidedly shaky, with even the diminutive Brett Ormerod winning headers.  Tigana appeared to acknowledge his side's problems at the back by hauling off Knight and putting Abdeslam Ouaddou on in his place.  

But Fulham's afternoon went from bad to worse in the 72nd minute when ChrisMarsden burst into the Cottagers box.  

Goma tackled him, but succeeded only in poking the ball to Ormerod, whojoyfully side-footed under van der Sar to

Match Information

Competition: Barclays Premier League

Date: Sunday 27 October 2002
Kick-off: 3:00pm

Venue: St Mary's Stadium, Southampton
Attendance: 26,188

Referee: Mark Halsey


Line-up: Niemi; Dodd, Svensson, Lundekvam, Bridge; Fernandes, Oakley, Marsden, Svensson; Ormerod (Delgado 79'), Beattie

Unused substitutes: Jones, Williams, Telfer, Tessem


Line-up: Van der Sar; Finnan, Knight (Ouaddou 59'), Goma, Brevett; Malbranque, Djetou (Hayles 63'), Clark, Legwinski, Boa Morte; Marlet

Unused substitutes: Taylor, Melville, Stolcers

As It Stood Table

Pos Club Pl Pts
1 Liverpool 11 27
2 Arsenal 11 23
3 Chelsea 11 19
4 Manchester United 11 19
5 Tottenham Hotspur 11 19
6 Middlesbrough 11 18
7 Blackburn Rovers 11 18
8 Everton 11 17
9 Newcastle United 10 16
10 Southampton 11 16
11 Fulham 11 15
12 Leeds United 11 14
13 Birmingham City 11 12
14 Aston Villa 11 11
15 West Ham United 11 11
16 Manchester City 11 11
17 Charlton Athletic 11 10
18 West Bromwich Albion 11 10
19 Sunderland 10 8
20 Bolton Wanderers 9 7
Southampton (4-4-2)
  • 14Antti Niemi
  • 2Jason Dodd
  • 11Michael Svensson
  • 5Claus Lundekvam
  • 3Wayne Bridge
  • 29Fabrice Fernandes
  • 8Matt Oakley
  • 4Chris Marsden
  • 12Anders Svensson
  • 36Brett Ormerod
  • 9James Beattie
  • 1Paul Jones
  • 6Paul Williams
  • 33Paul Telfer
  • 21Jo Tessem
  • 34Agustin Delgado
Fulham (4-5-1)
  • 1Edwin Van der Sar
  • 2Steve Finnan
  • 16Zat Knight
  • 24Alain Goma
  • 3Rufus Brevett
  • 14Steed Malbranque
  • 17Martin Djetou
  • 8Lee Clark
  • 18Sylvain Legwinski
  • 11Luis Boa Morte
  • 7Steve Marlet
  • 12Maik Taylor
  • 4Andy Melville
  • 25Abdeslam Ouaddou
  • 40Andrejs Stolcers
  • 15Barry Hayles