Saturday 7 February 2004, 3:00pm at St Mary's Stadium, Southampton
Barclays Premier League
Fulham FC

74' Yellow Card

Kevin Phillips Card was given for a foul

75' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:James Beattie
Off:Brett Ormerod

31' Yellow Card

Steed Malbranque Card was given for a foul

70' Yellow Card

Moritz Volz Card was given for a foul

58' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Bobby Petta
Off:Steed Malbranque

65' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Sylvain Legwinski
Off:Lee Clark

89' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Junichi Inamoto
Off:Sean Davis

Edwin van der Sar produced a man of the match performance between the sticks to allow Fulham to take a point from the game at St Mary's Stadium.
Southampton built up a head of steam in a peculiar match against Fulham at St Mary's, but Edwin van der Sar proved their nemesis. 

The first half was as dull as they come - but the tempo increased as the clock ticked by and Holland's first-choice keeper was the hero for the visitors. Gordon Strachan's side racked up 17 corners but UEFA Cup hopefuls Fulham clung on to add another point to their tally. It was an opportunity lost for the south-coast side, who harbour their own European ambitions but failed to beat van der Sar despite a rash of chances. The big shot-stopper was on top form and made superb saves from Brett Ormerod - twice - and Anders Svensson. The Cottagers, with Brian Bride starved of possession up front, were toothless in attack and sorely missed the firepower of Louis Saha. 

This match, which did liven up after the break - not that it could have got any worse - was in stark contrast to both teams' previous games. Saints had been unlucky to lose 3-2 at Manchester United, while the Cottagers beat Everton 2-1 in an action-packed encounter. Luis Boa Morte had been on top form in that game but he failed to make a similar impact against his former club. Saints again left star striker James Beattie on the bench and there was precious little action in the first 15 minutes on a glorious, if chilly, afternoon. Kevin Phillips thought he was in with a chance of livening things up but, after racing onto a through-ball, his advance on goal was curtailed by an extremely late linesman's flag. Saints almost broke the tedium with a cracking goal at the midway point of the half. Phillips swung over an arcing cross from the right and Ormerod stretched out his left boot to volley goalwards. However, his shot was matched by a brilliant van der Sar tip-over. 

The home side were bossing the match, with Fulham encamped in their own half for long periods. Van der Sar saved Fulham again five minutes before the break when Ian Pearce made a complete hash of a clearance. Svensson nipped in and hammered a shot goalwards - but the big Dutch keeper van der Sar pulled off a great parry. A moment of magic by Ormerod almost broke the deadlock 30 seconds after the interval. The frontman slipped inbetween Pearce and Carlos Bocanegra on the right flank, cut inside and rifled a shot goalwards. Van der Sar flung out one of his long legs to divert the ball past the near post. Rory Delap flicked a shot harmlessly over the top from Phillips' cross as Strachan's side continued to press. Saints went even closer to the opener after 56 minutes. Centre-back Michael Svensson headed a right-wing corner goalwards and Moritz Volz blocked and then cleared as Ormerod was poised to smash home the rebound. Referee Andy D'Urso snubbed Southampton's penalty appeals when Graeme Le Saux's pull-back appeared to hit Pearce's arm. Fulham finally had their first attempt on goal in the 68th minute when, after an excellent Sean Davis pull-back, McBride thumped a 10-yard shot into Danny Higginbotham's midriff. Pahars had a golden chance 17 minutes from time but fired his far-post shot against van der Sar's body. Antti Niemi made his first save with 11 minutes left, diving low to his right to grab Davis' 20-yard effort. The Finnish shot-stopper was also in action to save from McBride as Fulham finally showed some impetus in attack.

Match Information

Competition: Barclays Premier League

Date: Saturday 7 February 2004
Kick-off: 3:00pm

Venue: St Mary's Stadium, Southampton
Attendance: 31,820

Referee: Andy D'Urso


Line-up: Niemi; Dodd, Higginbotham, Svensson, Le Saux; Telfer, Delap, Svensson, Pahars; Kevin Phillips, Ormerod (Beattie 75')

Unused substitutes: Smith, Hall, Baird, Fernandes


Line-up: Van der Sar; Volz, Knight, Pearce, Bocanegra; Malbranque (Petta 58'), Clark (Legwinski 65'), Davis (Inamoto 89'), Djetou, Boa Morte; McBride

Unused substitutes: Crossley, Hayles

As It Stood Table

Pos Club Pl Pts
1 Arsenal 24 58
2 Manchester United 24 56
3 Chelsea 23 49
4 Newcastle United 24 37
5 Charlton Athletic 23 37
6 Liverpool 24 35
7 Fulham 24 35
8 Aston Villa 24 33
9 Bolton Wanderers 24 33
10 Southampton 24 31
11 Birmingham City 22 31
12 Tottenham Hotspur 24 30
13 Middlesbrough 23 28
14 Blackburn Rovers 24 26
15 Everton 24 25
16 Manchester City 23 23
17 Portsmouth 24 23
18 Leicester City 24 20
19 Wolverhampton Wanderers 24 20
20 Leeds United 24 17
Southampton (4-4-2)
  • 1Antti Niemi
  • 2Jason Dodd
  • 19Danny Higginbotham
  • 6Michael Svensson
  • 3Graeme Le Saux
  • Paul Telfer
  • 24Rory Delap
  • Anders Svensson
  • Marian Pahars
  • 9Kevin Phillips
  • 10Brett Ormerod
  • 21Paul Smith
  • 15Fitz Hall
  • 21Chris Baird
  • 29Fabrice Fernandes
  • 9James Beattie
Fulham (4-5-1)
  • 1Edwin Van der Sar
  • 2Moritz Volz
  • 16Zat Knight
  • 35Ian Pearce
  • 34Carlos Bocanegra
  • 4Steed Malbranque
  • 10Lee Clark
  • 23Sean Davis
  • 17Martin Djetou
  • 11Luis Boa Morte
  • 8Brian McBride
  • 12Mark Crossley
  • 5Sylvain Legwinski
  • 6Junichi Inamoto
  • 26Bobby Petta
  • 15Barry Hayles