Monday 26 December 2005, 1:00pm at Stamford Bridge, London
Barclays Premier League
Gallas 3'; Lampard 24'; Crespo 74'
Fulham FC
McBride 29'; Helguson (pen) 57'

3' Goal

William Gallas

24' Goal

Frank Lampard

74' Goal

Hernán Crespo

56' Yellow Card

Joe Cole Card was given for a foul

46' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Eidur Gudjohnsen
Off:Shaun Wright-Phillips

57' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Didier Drogba
Off:Robert Huth

76' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
Off:Hernán Crespo

29' Goal

Brian McBride

57' Penalty

Heidar Helguson

62' Yellow Card

Philippe Christanval Card was given for a foul

65' Yellow Card

Sylvain Legwinski Card was given for a foul

89' Yellow Card

Collins John Card was given for a foul

70' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Collins John
Off:Heidar Helguson

71' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Tony Warner
Off:Mark Crossley

A goal from Hernan Crespo fourteen minutes from time gave West London rivals Chelsea a narrow victory in a five goal Boxing Day thriller at Stamford Bridge.

Chris Coleman handed summer signing Heidar Helguson his first Premiership start of the season and was forced to re-shuffle his pack ahead of today’s fixture, with injuries to Bouba Diop and Steed Malbranque.

The home side got off to a perfect start after just three minutes. Joe Cole’s centre was headed down by Robert Huth and William Gallas swept the ball past Crossley from close range.

Fulham’s chances on goal in the early exchanges were comfortably dealt with by Chelsea keeper Petr Cech. Following a clash with Robert Huth, Brian McBride’s suffered a head injury which forced him to leave the field for almost ten minutes. During this period Chelsea doubled their lead - a short pass from Robben found Frank Lampard, whose deflected shot from outside the box put Chelsea 2-0 up after 24 minutes.

Five minutes later Fulham were back in the game. A Luis Boa Morte free kick found Zat Knight who touched the ball beyond Cech to find McBride who applied the finishing touch from close range. Further chances fell Fulham’s way in the first half. After 35 minutes Legwinski had the chance to pull Fulham level but his shot was a yard wide.

Fulham were certainly matching their local rivals at this point but the ever dangerous Wright-Phillips forced a fine save from Crossley with a fierce drive and only a few moments later Wright-Phillips was sent clear but could only hook the ball high over the bar.

The second half saw Chelsea introduce Eidur Gudjohnsen for Wright-Phillips and it wasn’t long before the substitute was in the thick of the action with a fierce shot that was just tipped over the bar by Crossley.

Fulham almost levelled on 54 minutes when McBride slipped in behind the Chelsea defence to steer a Boa Morte pass goalwards before Cech pushed the ball wide for a corner. Two minutes later McBride was sent crashing by Joe Cole in the box and referee Graham Poll pointed to the spot. Heidar Helguson stepped up and coolly slotted the ball into the net.

Chelseahad the ball in the net on the hour after some frantic action in the Fulham area but the goal was ruled offside by Graham Poll. Both managers made tactical substitutions in the second half and Fulham manager Chris Coleman was forced to bring on Tony Warner after 71 minutes to replace the injured Crossley.

Chelsearestored their lead on 74 minutes when Crespo hammered the ball in from fifteen yards after being picked out by a Joe Cole pass. Fulham almost levelled through Radzinski who latched onto a through ball but could only stab his shot wide.

A second Fulham penalty appeal was turned down in the 80th minute after Boa Morte saw his shot charged down in the area by John Terry. There was plenty of action in the four minutes added time and Luis Boa Morte came nearest for Fulham with a delicate chip. At the other end Tony Warner made a fine save after Drogba looked certain to score. Despite the flurry of chances in the last few minutes the score remained 3-2 and Chelsea took the three points. 

Match Information

Competition: Barclays Premier League

Date: Monday 26 December 2005
Kick-off: 1:00pm

Venue: Stamford Bridge, London
Attendance: 42,313

Referee: Graham Poll


Line-up: Cech; Gallas, Huth (Drogba 57'), Terry, Ferreira; Lampard, Makelele; Wright-Phillips (Gudjohnsen 46'), Joe Cole, Robben; Crespo (Geremi 76')

Unused substitutes: Cudicini, Bridge


Line-up: Crossley (Warner 71'); Leacock, Goma, Knight, Rosenior; Radzinski, Christanval, Legwinski, Boa Morte; McBride, Helguson (John 70')

Unused substitutes: Bocanegra, Pearce, Elrich

As It Stood Table

Pos Club Pl Pts
1 Chelsea 18 49
2 Manchester United 17 37
3 Tottenham Hotspur 18 34
4 Liverpool 15 31
5 Bolton Wanderers 16 30
6 Arsenal 17 29
7 Wigan Athletic 17 28
8 Manchester City 17 27
9 West Ham United 17 25
10 Newcastle United 17 25
11 Charlton Athletic 17 22
12 Blackburn Rovers 17 21
13 Middlesbrough 17 20
14 Fulham 18 19
15 Aston Villa 17 17
16 Everton 17 17
17 West Bromwich Albion 17 16
18 Portsmouth 17 13
19 Birmingham City 17 12
20 Sunderland 17 5
Chelsea (4-2-3-1)
  • 1Petr Cech
  • 3William Gallas
  • 4Robert Huth
  • 26John Terry
  • 19Paulo Ferreira
  • 8Frank Lampard
  • 4Claude Makelele
  • 24Shaun Wright-Phillips
  • 10Joe Cole
  • 16Arjen Robben
  • Hernán Crespo
  • 23Carlo Cudicini
  • 18Wayne Bridge
  • 14Geremi
  • 11Didier Drogba
  • 22Eidur Gudjohnsen
Fulham (4-4-2)
  • 1Mark Crossley
  • 22Dean Leacock
  • 24Alain Goma
  • 6Zat Knight
  • 17Liam Rosenior
  • 13Tomasz Radzinski
  • 19Philippe Christanval
  • 5Sylvain Legwinski
  • 11Luis Boa Morte
  • 20Brian McBride
  • 10Heidar Helguson
  • 12Tony Warner
  • 3Carlos Bocanegra
  • 35Ian Pearce
  • 27Ahmad Elrich
  • 15Collins John