Wednesday 27 December 2006, 8:00pm at The Valley, London
Barclays Premier League
Charlton Athletic
Charlton Athletic
Ambrose 19'; Bent 45'
Fulham FC
McBride 13'; Queudrue 90'

19' Goal

Darren Ambrose

45' Goal

Darren Bent

46' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Dennis Rommedahl
Off:Jerome Thomas

74' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Bryan Hughes
Off:Darren Ambrose

82' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
Off:Marcus Bent

13' Goal

Brian McBride

90' Goal

Franck Queudrue

65' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Collins John
Off:Heidar Helguson

74' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Claus Jensen
Off:Moritz Volz

Franck Queudrue's injury time volley snatches a point for Fulham in Monday night's thriller against Charlton Athletic at The Valley, which finished 2-2.

Chris Coleman retained the same starting eleven from last weekend’s draw with West Ham, with Michael Brown named as Captain of the side for the second successive game.

Last weekend’s two-nil defeat at the hands of Middlesbrough left the Addicks in 19th place and on Christmas Eve the Club appointed Alan Pardew as Manager, replacing Les Reed.

Referee Graham Poll got the game underway in front of a crowd of 25,203. Charlton kicked-off and immediately attacked down the right hand side with Darren Ambrose looking particularly threatening. As expected this London derby match commenced with a high tempo and both set of supporters created a lively atmosphere inside the Valley.

After 4 minutes Charlton created the first opportunity of the match. A long ball from defence drifted over Fulham’s back four and Marcus Bent was first to the ball on the right hand side of the area. The striker sent in a ferocious right-footed volley but fortunately for Fulham the ball smashed into the side netting.

Fulham certainly looked full of energy in the opening ten minutes and Michael Brown and Moritz Volz looked particularly up for the battle. Chris Coleman’s players were first to every fifty-fifty ball in the opening exchanges.

After 9 minutes Volz earned Fulham their first corner of the game after some neat footwork on the left hand side. A short corner to Queudrue was then curled into the box by the left-back but Charlton keeper Scott Carson collected with ease.

On 11 minutes Radzinski was upended on the left hand side of Charlton’s area, 25 yards from goal. Routledge whipped his set piece into the congested area but the ball evaded Fulham’s players before being headed away to safety.

Fulham’s early promise was rewarded on 12 minutes. Franck Queudrue sent in a free-kick 30 yards from goal on the left hand side. His in-swinging cross found Carlos Bocanegra who sent his header to the far post. Carson stretched for the ball but could only push the ball against the post. As the ball dropped Brian McBride was on hand three yards from goal to put Fulham ahead with an instinctive left footed finish.

Fulham’s bright start was curtailed on 18 minutes when Darren Ambrose brought the Addicks level. A Charlton free-kick was delivered into the box and Antti Niemi attempted to clear the ball to safety amongst a host of players. The keeper’s punch reached the edge of the area and Darren Ambrose was first to the ball, sending his right footed shot from 16 yards through a packed penalty area and into the corner of the net.

Charlton’s pace in attack was beginning to cause serious worries to Fulham’s back line. On 21 minutes a long cross field ball drifted over Bocanegra and Marcus Bent latched onto the opportunity and sent a left footed volley screaming past Niemi’s near post.

Wayne Routledge was Fulham’s main attacking instigator down the right hand side and the winger almost put Fulham a goal to the good with a superb in-swinging free-kick on 18 minutes. Routledge’s delivery evaded both sets of players before narrowly curling beyond the far post.

Darren Bent put the ball in the net on 31 minutes but was adjudged offside after collecting and dispatching a Darren Ambrose drive.

On 38 minutes Marcus Bent tried his luck from distance with a rasping 25 yard shot. Bent’s powerful drive was on target but Niemi was in position to collect the danger.

As the game approached half-time Fulham dominated possession and created two good chances on goal during a promising 5 minute spell.

However, the Whites failed to capitalise on their opportunities and paid dearly on the nick of half-time as Charlton capitalised on a costly defensive mix-up.

A hopeful long ball up-field ran into Fulham’s area and a lack of communication between Bocanegra and Rosenior allowed Darren Bent to race around the defensive duo and side-foot the ball past Antti Niemi and into the corner of the net.

Charlton’s tails were up and Fulham were fortunate not to concede a third before Graham Poll blew the whistle for half-time. After a promising start to the game Charlton entered the break by far the happier side.

Coleman’ side were out early for the second half and remained unchanged. Alan Pardew made his first substitution before the second period commenced, replacing Jerome Thomas with Dennis Rommedahl.

Charlton should have extended their lead on 11 minutes through Darren Ambrose. After Moritz Volz was upended in the middle of the park Charlton broke down Fulham’s left. Queudrue was left out of position and as the cross was delivered into the area Daren Ambrose collected the ball on the edge of the area. Ambrose deftly evaded Fulham’s defence but he could only send his shot wide of Niemi’s left hand post from 15 yards out.

Both sides failed to retain any form of possession in the opening ten minutes of the half and the game turned into a scrappy affair with a series of disruptions.

Fulham earned a free-kick on the hour mark after Routledge was brought down 30 yards from goal. The winger sent in another fine delivery to Brian McBride from the right-hand side but the American striker sent his header drifting over Carson’s goal.

Two minutes later Heidar Helguson was bundled over on the edge of Charlton’s area. McBride stepped up for the free-kick but could only send his right footed shot into the foot of the wall.

Charlton immediately countered with a two-on-two situation but Bent was adjudged to have pulled Bocanegra as the striker made his way through Fulham’s back line.

Chris Coleman made his first substitution of the game on 64 minutes, replacing Heidar Helguson with Collins John. The Dutchman was immediately in the thick of the action, earning Fulham a free-kick 30 yards from goal after he was crudely bundled over.

Both sides made substitutions on 73 minutes. For Charlton Bryan Hughes replaced Darren Ambrose whislt Chris Coleman withdrew Moritz Volz for former Charlton midfielder, Claus Jensen.

The pace of the game certainly increased as well as the atmosphere as the match moved into the final twenty five minutes.

Charlton pace down and attacking guile down the right almost took the game beyond Fulham’s reach on 75 minutes. After racing down the flank Rommedahl almost put the finishing touch to his move with right footed volley which Niemi was forced to push round his post.

Alan Pardew made his final substitution of the game on 81 minutes, replacing Marcus Bent with Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink.

Fulham dominated possession in the final ten minutes and Chris Coleman made his play, opting for a 3-4-3 formation. As the game entered it’s final stages it looked as though Fulham’s efforts would not be rewarded as the Whites failed to find their clinical edge in the final third.

As the fourth official indicated four minutes injury time Fulham threw everything at Charlton. A series of long balls into the box from inside Niemi’s own half were cleared to safety but Fulham persisted and their efforts were rewarded in the final seconds of the game.

As both sides competed for a Fulham free-kick sent into the the area a headed clearance dropped to Franck Queudrue who smashed his right footed shot past Carson to earn the Whites another valuable point on the road. 

Match Information

Competition: Barclays Premier League

Date: Wednesday 27 December 2006
Kick-off: 8:00pm

Venue: The Valley, London
Attendance: 25,203

Referee: Graham Poll

Charlton Athletic

Line-up: Carson; Sankofa, Hreidarsson, El Karkouri, Staunton; Thomas (Rommedahl 46'), Holland, Sam, Ambrose (Hughes 74'); Bent (Hasselbaink 82'), Bent

Unused substitutes: Myhre, Fortune


Line-up: Niemi; Rosenior, Christanval, Bocanegra, Queudrue; Routledge, Volz (Claus Jensen 74'), Brown, Radzinski; McBride, Helguson (John 65')

Unused substitutes: Lastuvka, Zakuani, Runström

As It Stood Table

Pos Club Pl Pts
1 Manchester United 20 50
2 Chelsea 20 46
3 Arsenal 20 36
4 Bolton Wanderers 20 36
5 Portsmouth 20 35
6 Liverpool 20 34
7 Tottenham Hotspur 20 31
8 Everton 20 28
9 Reading 20 27
10 Aston Villa 20 25
11 Newcastle United 20 25
12 Fulham 20 25
13 Manchester City 20 23
14 Wigan Athletic 20 22
15 Blackburn Rovers 19 22
16 Middlesbrough 20 21
17 Sheffield United 20 20
18 West Ham United 20 18
19 Charlton Athletic 20 13
20 Watford 19 11
Charlton Athletic (4-4-2)
  • 38Scott Carson
  • 28Osei Sankofa
  • 3Hermann Hreidarsson
  • 15Talal El Karkouri
  • Mark Staunton
  • 14Jerome Thomas
  • 8Matt Holland
  • 18Lloyd Sam
  • 11Darren Ambrose
  • 7Marcus Bent
  • 10Darren Bent
  • 36Thomas Myhre
  • 24Jonathan Fortune
  • 19Dennis Rommedahl
  • 20Bryan Hughes
  • 18Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
Fulham (4-4-2)
  • 29Antti Niemi
  • 7Liam Rosenior
  • 5Philippe Christanval
  • 3Carlos Bocanegra
  • 4Franck Queudrue
  • 22Wayne Routledge
  • 2Moritz Volz
  • 8Michael Brown
  • 13Tomasz Radzinski
  • 20Brian McBride
  • 9Heidar Helguson
  • 12Jan Lastuvka
  • 18Gabriel Zakuani
  • 16Claus Jensen
  • 10Björn Runström
  • 15Collins John