Saturday 18 November 2006, 12:45pm at Etihad Stadium, Manchester
Barclays Premier League
Manchester City
Manchester City
Corradi 12', 32'; Barton 45'
Fulham FC
John 62'

12' Goal

Bernardo Corradi

32' Goal

Bernardo Corradi

45' Goal

Joey Barton

67' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Paul Dickov
Off:Georgios Samaras

89' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Nedum Onuoha
Off:Hatem Trabelsi

62' Goal

Collins John

46' Yellow Card

Moritz Volz Card was given for a foul

46' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Heidar Helguson
Off:Brian McBride

46' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Collins John
Off:Carlos Bocanegra

74' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Tomasz Radzinski
Off:Moritz Volz

A second-half consolation goal from Collins John was the only positive for Fulham in a poor display against Manchester City.

Fulham travelled to the Eastlands Stadium on Saturday afternoon to take on Stuart Pearce’s Manchester City side. After another resilient away performance at Fratton Park last weekend the Whites were looking to continue their impressive away record at The City of Manchester Stadium.

Fulham Manager Chris Coleman kept faith with the 4-5-1 formation which has served the Whites so well on the road this season. The big news for Fulham ahead of kick-off was the return of midfield enforcer Papa Bouba Diop to the starting eleven.

Coleman retained the same defensive line-up whilst Fulham’s midfield five from right to left featured Volz, Jensen, Bouba Diop, Bocanegra and captain, Luis Boa Morte. Brian McBride was selected as Fulham’s lone striker.

Having failed to beat Fulham at home over the past three seasons, Pearce opted for leading scorer Georgios Samaras alongside Bernardo Corradi up front.

Despite a composed start by the Whites, City almost broke the deadlock after eight minutes. City’s creative midfielder Hatem Trabelsi sent in a dangerous right footed cross which Zat Knight was forced to head over the Fulham cross bar from six yards out. From the resulting corner Richard Dunne charged into the area unmarked but City’s captain could only send his header high over Niemi’s bar.

City began to look dangerous down Fulham’s left flank and Georgios Samaras looked particularly threatening in the final third.

After a quiet start to the game, City broke through Fulham’s defence to take the lead after 11 minutes. With his back to goal, Samaras flicked the ball over Fulham’s defence. Corradi timed his run to beat the offside trap before sending his right footed volley past Antti Niemi.

Fulham almost pulled the game level after 17 minutes. After a foul on Carlos Bocanegra in the middle of the pitch Claus Jensen sent a 40 yard free kick into City’s area. The ball found the head of Diop but the Senegalese international could only send his header into the arms of Nicky Weaver.

Stuart Pearce’s side extended their lead after 31 minutes when Bernardo Corradi grabbed his second goal of the game. After dispossessing Carlos Bocanegra in midfield, Joey Barton charged up field before threading his ball through to the striker. Corradi sent his right footed shot past Niemi from 12 yards and City were two goals to the good.

Fulham captain Luis Boa Morte almost pulled a goal back for the Whites after 35 minutes. Claus Jensen’s through ball sent the winger through for his first opportunity of the game. From a tight angle on the left hand side of the area Boa’s strike flew across City’s goal but was wide of Weaver’s far post.

In the final ten minutes of a disappointing first half City continued to pose the greater threat and extended their lead to three goals to nil in the final minute of injury time.

After a long ball from deep inside their own half, Joey Barton’s run from the centre of the field took him into Fulham’s area before collecting a pass 12 yards from goal. Antti Niemi closed the angle but the unmarked Barton threaded his left footed shot past the keeper, striking a critical blow to Coleman’s side moments before referee Wiley blew for half-time.

Fulham came out for the second half with a revised 4-4-2 formation and a new attacking line-up. Carlos Bocanegra and Brian McBride were substituted and Collins John and Heidar Helguson were introduced in attack for the second period of the game.

Moritz Volz earned Fulham a free kick on the edge of City’s area in the opening minute but Claus Jensen’s 25 yard shot from the left channel rebounded off the City wall before being cleared to safety.

Collins John smashed the ball into the back of the net after 49 minutes but not before referee Wiley blew for offside. The striker controlled a long ball into the box before sending his left footed volley past Nicky Weaver. Unfortunately for Fulham the referee deemed it offside.

Moments later the linesman’s flag once again denied John. Claus Jensen controlled the ball on the edge of City’s area before threading a pass through to John but the striker was adjudged offside before his right footed shot had beaten Weaver.

Thatcher was booked by Wiley on 52 minutes for unsporting behaviour.

Coleman’s revised line-up was providing greater possession in the final third for Fulham and the Whites looked far more threatening in the opening period of the second half.

Luis Boa Morte was on defensive duty when he was required to clear the ball to safety four yards from goal. Following a dangerous ball into the box from the right hand side Fulham looked stretched in the area before Boa Morte intervened.

A minute later Boa Morte’s foul on Barton in Fulham’s right hand channel earned City a free kick 25 yards from goal. Barton sent in a right footed in-swinging free kick which curled past Niemi’s far post to safety.

Coleman’s half time changes paid dividends on 61 minutes as Fulham pulled a goal back. A long ball up field found Helguson 25 yards from goal. The striker’s flick on found John who lifted a delicate right footed lob over Nicky Weaver. It was the Dutchman’s first goal of the season and and looked Fulham's most threatening player.

Stuart Pearce made his first substitution of the game after 66 minutes when Paul Dickov replaced Georgios Samaras.

Fulham continued to search for a way back into the game and Collins John was looking particularly lively up-front. Chris Coleman reinforced his attack on 73 minutes, introducing Tomasz Radzinski for Moritz Volz on the right hand side of midfield.

However City continued to threaten, particularly down the right hand side and the home side had two opportunities in the 78th minute to extend their lead. First Micah Richards smashed a right footed drive past Niemi’s near post from eight yards before Trabelsi sent a shot from 12 yards straight into Niemi’s arms.

In the final ten minutes Fulham started to press City with a series of crosses into the area from the left hand side but Fulham’s penetration could not provide an end product.

Stuart Pearce made his second substitution of the game on 89 minutes, introducing Nedum Onuoha for Trabelsi.

Despite a spirited second half performance Fulham suffered only their second away defeat of the season at The City of Manchester Stadium and remain on 17 points in the Premiership.

Match Information

Competition: Barclays Premier League

Date: Saturday 18 November 2006
Kick-off: 12:45pm

Venue: Etihad Stadium, Manchester
Attendance: 35,776

Referee: Alan Wiley

Manchester City

Line-up: Weaver; Richards, Dunne, Distin, Jihai; Corradi, Barton, Ireland, Trabelsi (Onuoha 89'); Samaras (Dickov 67'), Vassell

Unused substitutes: Hart, Etuhu, Miller


Line-up: Niemi; Rosenior, Knight, Pearce, Bocanegra (John 46'); Volz (Radzinski 74'), Claus Jensen, Diop, Queudrue; Boa Morte; McBride (Helguson 46')

Unused substitutes: Lastuvka, Routledge

As It Stood Table

Pos Club Pl Pts
1 Manchester United 12 31
2 Chelsea 12 28
3 Arsenal 11 21
4 Aston Villa 12 21
5 Bolton Wanderers 12 21
6 Portsmouth 12 20
7 Everton 12 17
8 Wigan Athletic 11 17
9 Liverpool 12 17
10 Fulham 13 17
11 Reading 12 16
12 Manchester City 13 16
13 Tottenham Hotspur 12 15
14 Middlesbrough 12 14
15 Blackburn Rovers 12 12
16 West Ham United 12 11
17 Sheffield United 12 10
18 Newcastle United 12 9
19 Watford 12 9
20 Charlton Athletic 12 8
Manchester City (4-4-2)
  • 12Nicky Weaver
  • 2Micah Richards
  • 22Richard Dunne
  • 15Sylvain Distin
  • 17Sun Jihai
  • 30Bernardo Corradi
  • 8Joey Barton
  • 7Stephen Ireland
  • 27Hatem Trabelsi
  • 20Georgios Samaras
  • 12Darius Vassell
  • 1Joe Hart
  • 24Nedum Onuoha
  • 29Kelvin Etuhu
  • 14Paul Dickov
  • 27Ishmael Miller
Fulham (4-4-1-1)
  • 29Antti Niemi
  • 7Liam Rosenior
  • 6Zat Knight
  • 19Ian Pearce
  • 3Carlos Bocanegra
  • 2Moritz Volz
  • 16Claus Jensen
  • 14Papa Bouba Diop
  • 4Franck Queudrue
  • 11Luis Boa Morte
  • 20Brian McBride
  • 12Jan Lastuvka
  • 22Wayne Routledge
  • 9Heidar Helguson
  • 13Tomasz Radzinski
  • 15Collins John