Tuesday 27 January 2009, 7:45pm at Stadium of Light, Sunderland
Barclays Premier League
Jones 55'
Fulham FC

55' Goal

Kenwyne Jones

70' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Paul McShane
Off:George McCartney

75' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Carlos Edwards
Off:Andy Reid

81' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Grant Leadbitter
Off:Teemu Tainio

76' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Zoltán Gera
Off:Simon Davies

83' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Erik Nevland
Off:Dickson Etuhu

A second-half Kenwyne Jones goal downed Fulham at the Stadium of Light on Saturday afternoon.

During an entertaining first half at the Stadium of Light both sides produced opportunities to take the lead but several chances were wasted in front of goal at both ends in the first 45 minutes of play.

Fulham for their part were impressively organised and silenced the home crowd for a comfortable first 45 after containing Sunderland's early threat, which came in the form of Djibril Cisse.

The home side used Cisse's pace to telling effect in the opening exchanges. After three minutes of play Reid set Cisse free with a delightful 30-yard pass down Fulham's right-channel. The Frenchman collected the ball on the 18 yard line and attempted to beat Hughes to the by-line. Fulham's defender showed his own turn of pace as he marshalled Cisse to the line before shadowing the ball away to safety.

Four minutes later the Cisse was handed his first sight of goal, after another fine through ball, this time down the right channel from former Fulham midfielder Steed Malbranque. Racing through Fulham's back line Cisse delivered a powerful right footed shot which lacked accuracy and flew just wide of Schwarzer's near post.

Moments later Andy Johnson showed his instinct for goal, firing in Fulham's first shot on target, a left footed volley from 25 yards, which forced Fulop into a diving save. Fulham's most productive attacking play came down the right flank during the first half.

Despite Sunderland's early phase of pressure Fulham remained well organised and enjoyed their fair share of possession, silencing the Stadium of Light as the game approached the twenty-minute mark.

The visitor's confidence grew as the first half wore on and their spells of possession became more effective. Murphy and Johnson both had shots blocked from the edge of the area before Simon Davies was teed up by Zamora for a shot on goal on the 18-yard line. Davies shot took the slightest of deflections snd headed wide of goal.

As the half hour mark approached Cisse was offered a second chance to test Schwarzer after Murphy was dispossessed in central midfield. Fulham were deep in Sunderland territory when Cisse collected Murphy's lost past. After racing towards goal the striker couldn't find the accuracy in his strike to test Schwarzer from 18 yards.

Andy Johnson almost produced something out of nothing in a fine counter attack by the striker. Collecting the ball on the half way line Johnson sprinted towards goal before unleashing a right footed effort which flew just wide of Fulop's near post.

Kenwyne Jones went even closer after 35 minutes, firing in a vicious shot from the edge of the area with forced Schwarzer to produce the outstanding save of the match. The rebound fell to Cisse but Pantsil was on hand with a fine block tackle.

Minutes before half time Konchesky delivered a pinpoint cross into Davies' path 18 yards from goal. The Welshman raced into the area and met the ball on the volley with the outside of his right boot. Davies' impressive execution lacked direction and unfortunately seared wide of goal.

Fulham got the second half underway and after a quiet start to the second period Kenwyne Jones gave Sunderland the lead after 55 minutes of play. Andy Reid created the opening with a direct piece of approach play from a central position. Reid's run was eventually checked on the 18-yard line as the ball was played through to Cisse on the right hand side of Schwarzer's area. His low shot to the far post was well saved by Fulham's keeper but Jones was on hand to fire in the rebound.

Sunderland were buoyant after their opener with a heightened mood inside the Stadium of Light. Andy Reid was the chief instigator for the home side on the left flank. However Fulham remained composed and as the hour mark passed the Whites almost drew level when Simon Davies raced in to meet Dempsey's header across goal. Davies stretched to meet the ball at the far post but his effort went just over Fulop's cross bar.

Mark Schwarzer denied Malbranque the home side's second of the game with a superb save from close range after 70 minutes. At the other end Johnson worked tirelessly in the final third and a minute after Malbranque's effort Johnson was denied a shot on goal by a fine block tackle inside the area.

Roy Hodgson introduced Zoltan Gera fifteen minutes from time, replacing Simon Davies on Fulham's left flank. Five minutes later Murphy lofted a superb diagonal 30-yard pass over Sunderland's defence. Pantsil ran onto the ball and from the right hand side of the area fired over the bar.

Following Pantsil's effort Roy Hodgson introduced Erik Nevland for Etuhu. The Norwegian striker moved onto the right flank with Gera tucking in alongside Murphy in central midfield for the final eight minutes of the game.

Fulham went on the offensive during the closing stages of the game but Sunderland's defence remained resolute and the home side recorded a win over their Premier League rivals on Tuesday night at the Stadium of Light.

Match Information

Competition: Barclays Premier League

Date: Tuesday 27 January 2009
Kick-off: 7:45pm

Venue: Stadium of Light, Sunderland
Attendance: 36,539

Referee: Mark Halsey


Line-up: Fülöp; Bardsley, Ferdinand, Collins, McCartney (McShane 70'); Malbranque, Tainio (Leadbitter 81'), Whitehead, Reid (Edwards 75'); Jones, Cissé

Unused substitutes: Colgan, Davenport, Chopra, Healy


Line-up: Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky; Davies (Gera 76'), Murphy, Etuhu (Nevland 83'), Dempsey; Zamora, Johnson

Unused substitutes: Zuberbühler, Stoor, Kallio, Baird, Teymourian

As It Stood Table

Pos Club Pl Pts
1 Manchester United 22 50
2 Liverpool 22 47
3 Chelsea 22 45
4 Aston Villa 22 44
5 Arsenal 22 41
6 Everton 22 36
7 Wigan Athletic 22 31
8 West Ham United 22 29
9 Hull City 22 27
10 Fulham 21 26
11 Sunderland 23 26
12 Manchester City 21 25
13 Portsmouth 21 24
14 Bolton Wanderers 22 23
15 Newcastle United 22 23
16 Tottenham Hotspur 22 21
17 Blackburn Rovers 21 21
18 Middlesbrough 22 21
19 Stoke City 22 21
20 West Bromwich Albion 23 21
Sunderland (4-4-2)
  • 32Marton Fülöp
  • 2Phillip Bardsley
  • 29Anton Ferdinand
  • 15Danny Collins
  • 23George McCartney
  • 8Steed Malbranque
  • Teemu Tainio
  • 6Dean Whitehead
  • 20Andy Reid
  • 17Kenwyne Jones
  • 9Djibril Cissé
  • 46Nick Colgan
  • 21Calum Davenport
  • 30Paul McShane
  • 7Carlos Edwards
  • 18Grant Leadbitter
  • 16Michael Chopra
  • 23David Healy
Fulham (4-4-2)
  • 1Mark Schwarzer
  • 4John Pantsil
  • 5Brede Hangeland
  • 18Aaron Hughes
  • 3Paul Konchesky
  • 25Simon Davies
  • 13Danny Murphy
  • 20Dickson Etuhu
  • 23Clint Dempsey
  • 9Bobby Zamora
  • 8Andrew Johnson
  • 19Pascal Zuberbühler
  • 22Fredrik Stoor
  • 33Toni Kallio
  • 34Chris Baird
  • 6Andranik Teymourian
  • 11Zoltán Gera
  • 10Erik Nevland