Wednesday 29 October 2008, 7:45pm at Craven Cottage, London
Barclays Premier League
Fulham FC
Johnson 11', 60'
Wigan Athletic
Wigan Athletic

11' Goal

Andrew Johnson

60' Goal

Andrew Johnson

72' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Clint Dempsey
Off:Zoltán Gera

88' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Chris Baird
Off:Jimmy Bullard

90' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Erik Nevland
Off:Andrew Johnson

76' Yellow Card

Lee Cattermole Card was given for a foul

62' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Jason Koumas
Off:Maynor Figueroa

80' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Daniel De Ridder
Off:Lee Cattermole

A comfortable game and a clean-sheet was good news for Fulham as they overcame Wigan in a 2-0 win on Saturday afternoon.

Fulham got Wednesday evening's Premier League clash with Wigan underway at Craven Cottage and Manager Roy Hodgson retained the same starting eleven that earned a point at Fratton Park on Sunday.

In the opening exchanges Fulham started brightly and Simon Davies had a good opportunity from distance after five minutes of play. The Whites worked the ball down the left flank before Davies took control in a central position. The Welsh captain unleashed a fierce right-footed drive from 25 yards but his shot flew over Kirkland's bar.

Moments later Wigan went close with a after a fine piece of skill from Palacios on the edge of Fulham's area. The midfielder collected the ball 25 yards from goal, turned Bullard and unleashed a right-footed shot across goal. Fortunately Palacios' effort lacked direction and the ball seared wide of Schwarzer's goal.

Fulham were clearly targeting Wigan's right flank early on and after nine minutes of play it paid dividends, with Andy Johnson scoring his first goal for the Club after some fine link up play between Zamora and Konchesky.

The Whites opener came after some neat interplay in the middle of the park. The ball was played to Zamora on the left flank and the striker read Konchesky's overlap and played a fine ball behind Wigan's defence to the by-line. Konchesky whipped in a low cross and Johnson sent the ball past Kirkland from close range.

After netting his first goal for the Whites Johnson turned on his heels and raced towards the Cottage balcony to celebrate the 100th League goal of his career.

Fulham dominance grew after Johnson's goal, as did the quality of their play. The Whites continued to threaten down the flanks and dominated possession with some slick one touch passing. Fulham's second only looked a matter of time.

After twenty-four minutes Johnson almost put Fulham two to the good. Gera connected to a through ball down the left and clipped in a cross from the by-line. Kirkland was left stranded as he raced out to collect the ball, which headed across goal and into an empty six-yard box. Johnson raced in to poke the ball home but Boyce recovered to make a tremendous clearance.

Simon Davies was next to go close. A Murphy cross from the left headed into a congested area and Davies timed his run across goal to perfection. The Welsh captain headed goalwards from 12 yards but his effort flew over the bar.

Despite their dominance Fulham were almost made to pay for some sloppy play on the half hour mark. Pantsil was beaten by Zaki on the half-way line and as Fulham failed to recover possession Palacious smashed in a superb 30 yard drive. Schwarzer was beaten but fortunately the ball flew wide by a whisker.

The only booking of the half was handed to Kevin Kilbane after a heavy challenge on Pantsil that left the right back writhing in pain on the touchline. Kilbane received his yellow from referee Howard Webb.

The visitors grew in confidence as the break approached and their late first half offensive almost paid off when Zaki fired in from 18 yards. Schwarzer was positioned well to make a comfortable save but the warning signs were clear for Fulham.

Wigan continued to attack in waves and the break couldn't come sooner for the Whites. Seconds before half-time Zaki crossed from the left and found Scharner unmarked on the far post. It was Wigan's best chance of the game but the defender headed over from three yards.

After one minute of added time Howard Webb called time on the first period of play and the Whites went into the break a goal to the good.

Both sides remained unchanged for the second period and Fulham had a glorious chance to double their lead just three minutes into the second half.

Fulham's opportunity came through Bobby Zamora's endeavour down the right flank. The striker chased a lost cause and managed to hustle the ball off Figueroa before sending a right footed cross along the six yard line. The ball fell to Gera on the far post but the Hungarian's effort struck the post and rebounded to safety.

The early stages of the second half were less fluid than the first with both sides giving possession away cheaply. However just before the hour mark some quick thinking from Jimmy Bullard handed Johnson a goal scoring opportunity and the striker netted his second of the game to put Fulham two goals to the good.

Fulham's second came after the visitors conceded a free-kick just inside their own half. As both sets of players prepared for the set piece Bullard and Murphy seized the moment and Bullard threaded an inch perfect pass into Johnson's path down the right hand side of the area. The striker looked up and fired a right-footed shot past Kirkland and into the corner of the net.

After seeing his side concede their second of the game Steve Bruce made the first substitution of the game, introducing Jason Koumas for Maynor Figueroa. Wigan switched from a 4-4-2 to a 3-5-2 formation.

Wigan's attacking intent had little impact and Schwarzer was only called into action once before the 70 minute mark, saving Emile Heskey's drive from distance with ease.

Roy Hodgson made his first change after 72 minutes, bringing on Clint Dempsey for Zoltan Gera.

Lee Cattermole's frustration boiled over 15 minutes from time when he went in late on Paul Konchesky. Howard Webb had no hesitation in showing Cattermole a yellow.

Andy Johnson had a good opportunity to take the match ball home on 83 minutes when Zamora set him free for a one-on-one with Kirkland. Johnson raced clear of Wigan's defence but his touch into the area was intercepted by Kirkland who smothered the ball before Johnson could fire home.

Steve Bruce made a double substitution ten minutes from time. Valencia and Cattermole were replaced by de Ridder and Camara respectively. Fulham's second of the night effectively killed the game off and the Whites comfortably rode out the final ten minutes of the game.

Jimmy Bullard was replaced two minutes from time by Chris Baird, who slotted into central midfield alongside Danny Murphy.

As the game slipped into injury time Andy Johnson earned a fine applause from the home crowd when he made way for Erik Nevland for the final seconds of the game.

The final piece of action saw Fulham almost grab a third through Clint Dempsey. The US attacking midfielder collected the ball on the edge of the area, produced a fine piece of skill to create space before curling a right footed shot in on goal. Kirkland was beaten but the ball just curled wide of the far post.

Howard Webb called time on the game after four minutes of added time with the Whites securing a valuable three points at the Cottage Wednesday evening. Roy Hodgson's side moved upto 14th place in the Premier League after collecting four points from their last two encounters.

Match Information

Competition: Barclays Premier League

Date: Wednesday 29 October 2008
Kick-off: 7:45pm

Venue: Craven Cottage, London
Attendance: 22,500

Referee: Howard Webb


Line-up: Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Konchesky; Davies, Murphy, Bullard (Baird 88'), Gera (Dempsey 72'); Zamora, Johnson (Nevland 90')

Unused substitutes: Zuberbühler, Stoor, Kallio, Gray

Wigan Athletic

Line-up: Kirkland; Melchiot, Scharner, Boyce, Figueroa (Koumas 62'); Antonio Valencia, Watson, Cattermole (De Ridder 80'), Routledge; Rodallega, Zaki

Unused substitutes: Pollitt, Edman, Bramble, Brown, Mido

As It Stood Table

Pos Club Pl Pts
1 Chelsea 10 23
2 Liverpool 9 23
3 Aston Villa 10 20
4 Hull City 10 20
5 Arsenal 9 19
6 Manchester United 8 15
7 Portsmouth 9 14
8 Manchester City 9 13
9 West Ham United 9 12
10 Sunderland 10 12
11 Blackburn Rovers 10 12
12 Fulham 9 11
13 Stoke City 10 10
14 Middlesbrough 9 10
15 West Bromwich Albion 10 10
16 Everton 9 9
17 Newcastle United 10 9
18 Wigan Athletic 10 8
19 Bolton Wanderers 9 8
20 Tottenham Hotspur 9 5
Fulham (4-4-2)
  • 1Mark Schwarzer
  • 4John Pantsil
  • 18Aaron Hughes
  • 5Brede Hangeland
  • 3Paul Konchesky
  • 25Simon Davies
  • 13Danny Murphy
  • 21Jimmy Bullard
  • 11Zoltán Gera
  • 9Bobby Zamora
  • 8Andrew Johnson
  • 19Pascal Zuberbühler
  • 22Fredrik Stoor
  • 33Toni Kallio
  • 34Chris Baird
  • 17Julian Gray
  • 10Erik Nevland
  • 23Clint Dempsey
Wigan Athletic (4-4-2)
  • 1Chris Kirkland
  • 25Mario Melchiot
  • 7Paul Scharner
  • 17Emmerson Boyce
  • 31Maynor Figueroa
  • 16Antonio Valencia
  • 8Ben Watson
  • 4Lee Cattermole
  • 38Jonathon Routledge
  • 20Hugo Rodallega
  • 13Amr Zaki
  • 12Michael Pollitt
  • 3Erik Edman
  • 19Titus Bramble
  • 11Michael Brown
  • 19Jason Koumas
  • 28Daniel De Ridder
  • 9Mido