Tuesday 5 January 2010, 7:45pm at bet365 Stadium, Stoke
Barclays Premier League
Stoke City
Stoke City
Tuncay 12'; Faye 34'; Sidibe 37'
Fulham FC
Duff 61'; Dempsey 85'

12' Goal


34' Goal

Abdoulaye Faye

37' Goal

Mamady Sidibe

53' Yellow Card

Abdoulaye Faye Card was given for a foul

41' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Ricardo Fuller

65' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Glenn Whelan
Off:Rory Delap

88' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Salif Diao
Off:Liam Lawrence

61' Goal

Damien Duff

85' Goal

Clint Dempsey

45' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Chris Smalling
Off:Brede Hangeland

53' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Clint Dempsey
Off:Bobby Zamora

81' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Erik Nevland
Off:Andrew Johnson

Despite two goals in the second half, including a stunner from Clint Dempsey, it wasn't enough for Fulham as Stoke ran out 3-2 winners in snowy conditions at The Britannia Stadium.

It was a Baltic evening at the Britannia on Tuesday night when Fulham challenged Stoke City in the Barclays Premier League. 

Roy Hodgson had an almost fully fit squad to choose from, with Andy Johnson, Danny Murphy and Brede Hangeland all featuring in Fulham’s starting eleven.

Stoke got Tuesday night’s game underway as the snow drifted into the Britannia Stadium and the home side punished Fulham with ruthless efficiency in front of goal during the first half.

Tony Pulis' side had the ball in the back of the net after two minutes of play but Etherington was adjudged offside as he rifled the ball past Schwarzer from the left hand side of the area.

The Stoke midfielder was a constant menace down the left flank and delivered exceptional deliveries from set plays during the first half.

Fulham looked to get a grip on possession during the early stages of the match with Murphy, Duff and Johnson looking particularly bright on the counter attack.

However opportunities were few and far between until the 10th minute of play when the Whites earned a free-kick 25 yards from goal.

Danny Murphy found a gap between Stoke’s wall with a low right-footed curling effort but the ball flew just wide of Simonsen’s post.

Barely sixty seconds later Stoke took the lead through Tuncay, who headed home at the far post from Etherington’s corner. Huth helped to ball on to Tuncay, heading the ball across goal to the striker who had the simplest of tasks just three yards from goal.

Despite the early setback Fulham were offered encouragement by several half chances following Tuncay’s goal. Brede Hangeland went close with a header from sixteen yards before Zamora almost latched on to a loose ball as Stoke failed to clear from defence.

Until the half hour mark Tuesday night’s contest was an evenly matched affair amid testing conditions. The incessant bout of driving snow made conditions underfoot testing but to their credit both sides were clearly up for the battle.

Fulham were dealt a crushing blow in space of six first half minutes when Stoke extended their lead to 3-0. Faye drove home Stoke’s second from close range when he latched onto Etherington’s set piece delivery before Sidibe volleyed the ball past Schwarzer just three minutes later.

Before half time Tony Pulis was forced to replace Tuncay with Fuller following an injury to the striker. Fuller’s direct approach to goal had the home crowd on their feet before the break as Stoke ended the half with a 3-0 lead over Fulham.

Roy Hodgson made one change for the second half, replacing Brede Hangeland with Chris Smalling in central defence. After a tepid start things got worse for Fulham when Bobby Zamora was left writhing in agony following a challenge with Faye as the pair chased a long ball up field.

Zamora appeared to injury his shoulder as he tumbled to the ground and was immediately replaced by Dempsey in attack.

Despite the hefty deficit Fulham battled hard at the start of the second half and were rewarded for their efforts on the hour mark when Damien Duff drilled a 25-yard effort past Simonsen to earn Fulham a foothold in the contest.

Barely a minute after Duff’s goal Clint Dempsey almost had the measure of Simonsen with a headed effort from 12 yards.

Dempsey had a further opportunity in front of goal after 69 minutes. Latching on to a long ball up-field the American turned his marker in the area before firing his volley over Simonsen’s cross bar.

At the other end Schwarzer produced a superb reflex save to deny Fuller’s deflected drive from the right hand side of the six-yard box after 74 minutes. The ball was flying inside Schwarzer’s inside post before the towering Aussie intervened with a truly instinctive save.

After 84 minutes play Clint Dempsey reduced the home side’s lead further with a stunning strike from 30 yards to take the score to 3-2. Dempsey latched onto a long ball up field before firing a vicious dipping volley over Simonsen’s head and into the back of the net.

Fulham were now within touching distance of claiming a remarkable draw at the Britannia Stadium but time was against them. During the five minutes of added time the Whites continued to attack in waves.

Stoke’s lead remained intact despite a valid penalty appeal that was denied when Shawcross appeared to handle the ball in the area. In the end Stoke were fortunate to walk away with all three points following an admirable second half rally from Fulham.

Match Information

Competition: Barclays Premier League

Date: Tuesday 5 January 2010
Kick-off: 7:45pm

Venue: bet365 Stadium, Stoke
Attendance: 25,104

Referee: Mark Clattenburg

Stoke City

Line-up: Simonsen; Huth, Faye, Shawcross, Higginbotham; Lawrence (Diao 88'), Delap (Whelan 65'), Whitehead, Etherington; Sidibe, Tuncay (Fuller 41')

Unused substitutes: St Louis-Hamilton, Collins, Wilkinson, Beattie


Line-up: Schwarzer; Kelly, Hughes, Hangeland (Smalling 45'), Konchesky; Gera, Murphy, Baird, Duff; Zamora (Dempsey 53'), Johnson (Nevland 81')

Unused substitutes: Zuberbühler, Kallio, Greening, Dikgacoi

As It Stood Table

Pos Club Pl Pts
1 Chelsea 20 45
2 Manchester United 20 43
3 Arsenal 19 41
4 Tottenham Hotspur 20 37
5 Manchester City 19 35
6 Aston Villa 20 35
7 Liverpool 20 33
8 Birmingham City 20 32
9 Fulham 20 27
10 Stoke City 20 24
11 Sunderland 20 23
12 Everton 19 22
13 Blackburn Rovers 20 21
14 Burnley 20 20
15 Wolverhampton Wanderers 20 19
16 Wigan Athletic 19 19
17 West Ham United 20 18
18 Bolton Wanderers 18 18
19 Hull City 20 18
20 Portsmouth 20 14
Stoke City (4-4-2)
  • 1Steve Simonsen
  • 4Robert Huth
  • 25Abdoulaye Faye
  • 17Ryan Shawcross
  • 3Danny Higginbotham
  • 7Liam Lawrence
  • 24Rory Delap
  • 18Dean Whitehead
  • 26Matthew Etherington
  • 11Mamady Sidibe
  • 20Tuncay
  • 38Danzelle St Louis-Hamilton
  • 5Danny Collins
  • 28Andy Wilkinson
  • 6Glenn Whelan
  • 15Salif Diao
  • 9James Beattie
  • 10Ricardo Fuller
Fulham (4-4-2)
  • 1Mark Schwarzer
  • 2Stephen Kelly
  • 18Aaron Hughes
  • 5Brede Hangeland
  • 3Paul Konchesky
  • 11Zoltán Gera
  • 13Danny Murphy
  • 6Chris Baird
  • 16Damien Duff
  • 25Bobby Zamora
  • 8Andrew Johnson
  • 19Pascal Zuberbühler
  • 26Chris Smalling
  • 33Toni Kallio
  • 27Jonathan Greening
  • 34Kagisho Dikgacoi
  • 10Erik Nevland
  • 23Clint Dempsey