History of Fulham Football Club

Win Over Swansea Kick-starts Fulham Run

11 February 1997 After a bad run of games which saw us only win one out of five during January and February (with four losses), it was this home game against Swansea City that stopped the rot. After going a goal down in the second half, late goals from Freeman and Brooker sealed a vital win that kickstarted the rest of the season. The Whites would go on to lose only one of our remaining 14 League games. Pictured is the Fulham faithful enjoying a 2-0 win away at Leyton Orient in March 1997.

Who Put The Ball In The Carlisle Net...

5 April 1997 April 5th 1997 is a date that most Fulham fans still remember. The Whites traveled to Carlisle sitting in 3rd place - one point and place behind the hosts. After going 1-0 down, Mike Conroy equalised and then it was that man, Rodney McAree, who rifled home a thunderbolt of a half-volley to seal the win. Over 2,000 travelling supporters went wild, and we would never look back.

We Are Going Up: Micky Adams Leads Fulham To Division Two

3 May 1997 At the third time of asking, the Whites sealed promotion from Division Three. A 1-0 win away at Cambridge United rounded off a thoroughly enjoyable season and Micky Adams deserved full credit for garnering team spirit, the right attitude, dedication and tactical nous. It was a combination of them all which helped the Whites embark on an unlikely promotion campaign. This was the start of good things to come for Fulham Football Club and Adams will be remembered as the man who set us on our way.

Mohamed Al Fayed Takes Over Fulham Football Club

29 May 1997 29th May 1997 is a date that will remain etched in the memories of everyone associated with Fulham Football Club, as it is the day Mohamed Al Fayed’s tenure as Chairman began. Purchasing the freehold of Craven Cottage and a major shareholding in the Club, it promised to bring exciting times to the banks of the Thames.

An investment of this nature was desperately needed at the Club as finally there was promise of stability. In addition to this, Mr Al Fayed promised Premier League football within five years. His rescuing of Fulham FC couldn't have happened at a better time.

Morgan Makes It 300 Not Out

9 August 1997 Captain and Fulham legend Simon Morgan made an impressive 300th appearance for the Whites as we opened the season with a 1-0 home win against Wrexham.

Wilkins And Keegan Join Fulham

September 1997 Soon after Mr Al Fayed took charge as Chairman he installed Ray Wilkins as Manager and Kevin Keegan as Chief Operating Officer - instilling some glamour not seen down by the Thames for quite some time. They would be backed by a chequebook spending spree unprecedented in Fulham's history.

Fulham's First £1m Player

October 1997 After Mr Al Fayed became Chairman it was inevitable that this landmark would soon be broken, and Paul Peschisolido has the honour of becoming the first player to arrive at Fulham commanding a seven digit transfer fee. This was a period where the Club's record transfer fee was broken on almost a weekly basis and Chris Coleman signed for nearly £2m only a month later.