Premiership round-up

Saturday 25 August 2001

Arsenal took all three points as they beat struggling Leicester 4-0 at Highbury in a game overshadowed by the dismissals of Patrick Vieira and Dennis Wise.

Fredrik Ljungberg's 17th-minute strike broke the deadlock and ten minutes later Dennis Bergkamp and Robert Pires combined to release Sylvain Wiltord for a well-worked second.

But Pires was at the centre of the boiling-point of the match, when he was brought down by Damian Delaney in the second period. Wise defended his team-mate's actions but clashed with Vieira in front of referee Andy D'Urso, who showed the hot-headed duo, who had both already been booked, red cards.

The deficit did not stop Arsenal improving their tally, as Thierry Henry smashed home a third on 77 minutes and Kanu a late fourth.

Everton climbed to second in the table after a 2-0 win over Middlesbrough, who continued their wretched start to the season and slumped to their third successive defeat at Goodison Park. Walter Smith's side took the lead through Kevin Campbell midway through the first half. Scot Gemmill doubled the advantage with a long-range strike before the hour-mark.

Leeds stay second in the Premiership after a goalless draw against West Ham at Upton Park. The same side that beat Arsenal on their own patch failed to break down a stubborn Hammers defence to drop their first points of the campaign.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink scored the first ever goal at Southampton's new St. Mary's Stadium as Chelsea won their first game of the season 2-0. The Holland international reacted quickest when Paul Jones flapped at a Graeme Le Saux cross to put the visitors ahead just before the break.

The 31,000 home fans were convinced that the Saints deserved a penalty with ten minutes left but referee David Elleray awarded a goal-kick. Mario Stanic made sure of the points with a late second.

Blackburn beat Tottenham 2-1 at Ewood Park. Midfielder Alan Mahon squeezed the ball home after a corner in the eighth minute to get them off to a perfect start, and Damien Duff added a second after a great run and shot late on. Christian Ziege banged home a last-gasp consolation for the visitors.

Ipswich were stunned by a late Kevin Lisbie volley and lost 1-0 at home to Charlton, who pick up their first points of the season.