Ladies through

Sunday 9 December 2001

Fulham 12 Newport County 0

Match report by Carol Gale

Fulham Ladies faced Newport County Ladies in the third round of the FA Cup on Sunday December 9.

Fulham were on the attack from the beginning and within seconds Kristy Moore saw her fierce shot come back off the post. Another Fulham attack saw them win a corner, Margunn Haugenes sent over a perfect cross, which was headed in powerfully by Marianne Pettersen. After more pressure on the Newport goal resulting in a goalmouth scrap, the ball came out to Katie Chapman who from just inside the penalty area clinically slammed the ball into the back of the net.

Kim Jerray-Silver audaciously tried her luck from more than 30 yards out and the Newport goalkeeper made an excellent save, touching the ball just over the bar. Fulham Ladies were running the game, interchanging long and short passes across the park and throughout the team. However the Fulham defence had to keep on their toes, on many occasions Newport County were quick to break out of defence, unfortunately for Newport their striker was frequently outnumbered by the Fulham defence, excellently marshalled by Mary Phillip.

Another Fulham attack with excellent build-up play between Yankey, McArthur and Haugenes whose shot was pushed out by the goal-keeper, only to come out to Pettersen who tapped the ball in from close range. Chapman and Yankey combined, Yankey beat a couple of players and saw her powerful shot hit the bar and go over. Then in the 29th minute Pettersen beat two players and her well-placed shot squeezed in between the goalkeeper and the post, that was her hat trick.

A further two goals come within two minutes, first a corner by Haugenes, excellently headed in by Kristy Moore. Haugenes was then brought down in the penalty area and scored a well-taken penalty.

Fulham Ladies were six-nil up at half time. The second half began with a Fulham substitution, Deena Rahman replaced Rachel Unitt. Just like the first-half Fulham Ladies started with a flourish, twice Newport County had to clear their goal line. Within five minutes of the second half Moore saw her shot saved by the goal-keeper, but once again fell at the feet of a Fulham player, Rachel Yankey was on hand to knock the ball in.

Fulham's eighth goal was an excellent team goal begun by Phillip who passed to Jerray- Silver to Haugenes, a cross was sent over and Pettersen once again rose above everyone else to head in comfortably.

Two further Fulham substitutions, Sinclair-Chambers replaced Gibbons in the 70th minute and Lene Terp replaced Jerray-Silver in the 75th minute. Terp immediately made an impression, her cross into the Newport penalty area caused utter confusion with one of their defenders nearly scoring an own-goal, then the ball was in the air and Pettersen was there once again to head in, her fifth goal of the game.

Newport County were defending valiantly and had to see off many crosses and continued to try and counter-attack. However, there was nothing they could do when Rahman whipped in an excellent cross and Yankey was quick to read the cross and knocked the ball past the on-coming goalkeeper.

Fulham Ladies scored two further goals in the last couple of minutes. Newport conceded a second penalty after Rahman was brought crashing down; Haugenes once again netted a perfectly taken penalty. And Pettersen skilfully combined with Moore, who hit a cracking shot past the goalkeeper.

The final score was 12-0 and it could have been more.

Marianne Pettersen, 6 mins, 21 mins, 29 mins, 60 mins, 80 mins
Katie Chapman, 12 mins,
Kristy Moore, 31 mins, 90 mins
Margunn Haugenes, 32 mins, 88 mins
Rachel Yankey, 50 mins, 84 mins

Fulham team: Smith, Jerray-Silver (Terp 75 min), McArthur, Gibbons (Sinclair-Chambers 70min) Unitt (Rahman 45 min), Phillip, Chapman, Haugenes, Duncan, Moore, Yankey, Pettersen