Ladies through

Thursday 15 November 2001

Barking 1-15 Fulham

Match Report by Gary Mulcahey

On a bitterly cold night Fulham Ladies visited Barking FC for a London Cup 3rd round tie.

Fulham who are the holders of this Cup had three players away, Ronnie Gibbons and Deena Rahman were on International duty and Marianne Pettersen was in Norway.

Barking also fielded a weakened side due to work commitments and a more important league game against Bristol Rovers coming up on Sunday.

Fulham opened the scoring after 1-0 with a fine strike from Katie Chapman from a Jerray-Silver cross.

Rachel Yankey then popped up twice with similar shots from the right hand side which was producing some great crosses.

On 16 minutes Barking with their first venture into the Fulham half scored a goal after an unlucky touch from the Fulham Goalkeeper. Kelly Stock was left to stab the ball home into an empty net.

2 minutes later Fulham made it 4-1 from a Rachel Unitt free-kick. Duncan side footed a well-placed shot into the far post.

Again good inter-change of passes by Jerray-Silver and Moore down the right saw the resulting cross, finished off by Yankey, for her hat-trick after just 30mins. A minute later Yankey grabbed her fourth when she intercepted a pass to breakaway from the Barking defence and slotted her shot to the far post.

Fulham were camped in the Barking half and went close with set pieces and crosses with some good solutions coming from the Fulham forwards.

Just before half-time Kristy Moore broke away and cut the ball back for Haugenes to score from close range. 7-1.

Substitutes were brought on by Manager Haugenes which saw England Keeper Young on for Smith and Mork replaced Duncan.

The pressure continued. Mork scored a great curling shot with nearly her first kick of the game.

The Second half was played with a fantastic fireworks display being staged behind the Barking goal but this didn't seem to distract the Fulham players.

Chapman scored her second from a Unitt corner and on the hour mark Moore scored Fulham's tenth, before she was replaced by 15 year old Karen Mears.

The Management, who sporting some fine winter head gear, were not impressed with some poor refereeing decisions. Chapman scored her hat-trick after 70mins and then was involved in the twelfth goal which came from Yankey again.

Margunn grabbed her second after good combination play with fellow Norwegian Mork.

A flowing move involving McArthur and Mears saw Chapman score her fourth with 5 minutes remaining.

Finally Yankey's great night was ended with a great left foot strike from 18 yards which was drilled into the net.

Barking battled to the end but were no match for the professionals with Manager Glibbery happy with the final result.

Fulham's domination of the game continues but the next couple of months will see some tougher games than the one staged last night.

Goal scorers: Yankey (6), Chapman (4), Haugenes (2), Mork (1), Duncan (1), Moore (1)