Ladies defeat Barnet

Monday 26 November 2001

Barnet 1 Fulham 7

Report from Vicky Brown

Fulham Ladies travelled to Barnet with seven players out of the squad. Rachel Yankey, Katie Chapman, Rachel Unitt and Layla Young were all away with England in Portugal and Lyn Rebecca Mork and Lene Terp remained out injured. Kim Jerray-Silver was also out with a chest infection.

Fulham got off to quite a slow start but after the appearance of a streaker on the pitch, the game livened up! John Jones, Barnet's manager, took on the job of chasing him off the pitch!

Shortly after 15 minutes, a brilliant pass from Deena Rahman opened up the Barnet defence, enabling Kristy Moore to face the goalkeeper alone. She hammered the ball right into the far post leaving the goalkeeper standing.

The team played well in the last part of the first half, but it was really the Marianne Pettersen show. She scored 4 goals between the 21st and the 44th minute. Pettersen's first goal came as she beat the Barnet defence on sheer pace and then placed the goal easily into the goalkeeper's left corner.

Goal number two came in the 34th minute after the Barnet defence made a mistake in sending the ball back to the keeper. Pettersen intercepted the ball and dribbled it over the line for a 3 - 0 score to Fulham. Pettersen scored her hatrick two minutes later in almost the same circumstances as her first goal. Just seconds before the break, Pettersen found herself alone again with the goalkeeper after a smart passing combination with Kristy Moore, enabling her to score her fourth.

Fulham entered the second half 5 nil up. Seven minutes into the second half, Ronnie Gibbons passed to Kristy Moore who then crossed it over to Sanchia Duncan on the far post. Sanchia slotted it in for Fulham's 6th goal. Minutes later, Marianne Pettersen again found herself alone with the keeper and went for goal. Although this time the goalkeeper managed to save the shot, she was unable to keep hold of the ball. Sanchia took advantage of the open goal and hammered in her second goal of the match.

Fulham continued to create a lot of opportunities and should have probably scored a further 5 or 6 goals, but the Barnet goalkeeper prevented the team from finishing further with some excellent saves.

Ten minutes before the final whistle, Barnet broke through the Fulham defence with a pass that certainly looked offside. However neither the referee or linesman signalled to stop play. Jody Smith managed to get to the ball, but was unable to stop it from crossing the line. This was only the third goal in 8 league games to get past Fulham's keeper.

As a result of the 1 - 7 score, Fulham remain on top of the league table with 24 points, having scored 87 goals on the way.

Gaute Haugenes, Team Manager, commented after the game "With so many of the regular players out for Sunday's game, it was a golden opportunity to give some of the young reserve players a chance to experience play at this level. Two of these players have come up through our Centre of Excellence, so there is a clear pathway for them".

Squad: Smith, Gibbons, Petersen (Percival 61), Phillip, Odivini (Mears 61), McArthur, Rahman, Haugenes, Moore, Pettersen, Duncan.

Goal scorers:Pettersen 21, 34, 36, 45, Duncan 52, 59, Moore 15