Fulham 1 Dons 1

Wednesday 21 August 2002

Wednesday evening saw Fulham return to the pleasant surroundings of Woking FC's Kingfield stadium for their first home match of the 2002-03 Premiership Reserve League campaign.

After last week's 5-1 demolition of Arsenal, those in attendance were fully expecting a continuation in form from the Whites. This didn't come about.

As if to illustrate the dramatic change in fortunes for both clubs, former Fulham man Duncan Jupp took up his familiar rightback position for the Dons.

After the frantic start died down, Fulham took control of the game - limiting the Dons to the odd counter-attack. However, with the pace of Danny Morgan up front, Wimbledon possessed a player capable of causing problems.

Indeed, it was Morgan who almost put the Dons in front through rather fortuitous circumstances. After John Collins intercepted a Jupp throw in, his subsequent pass saw the referee divert the ball into the path of Morgan. Clearly showing his pace, Morgan sprinted through but fired his shot just wide of Herrera's left-hand post.

A few minutes later Fulham almost netted after a delightful piece of approach play. Lee Clark's raking cross-field ball found the run of Goldbaek, who volleyed his cross into the box. Unfortunately for Fulham, Hammond and Willock conspired to miss the goalscoring opportunity.

The referee was drawing more than his fair share of flak from the supporters after allowing Dons Captain, Hakan Mild get away with his fourth consecutive bookable offience. Jupp was soon getting in on the act as he put in a dangerously high challenge on Lewis. No booking followed.

The interval saw Wimbledon take the precautionary measure of substituting both Jupp and Mild. For Fulham, Tom Hutchinson replaced Mark Hudson. The change saw Leacock move out to rightback as Hutchinson took up his usual role in the centre of defence.

Only a few minutes after the restart, the Dons took the lead through Kamara, who seized upon a defensive error to chip over the advancing Herrera. The goal had an initially negative effect on the Whites, as Steve Kean's men appeared to lose their way shortly after.

Despite fighting the frustration of going a goal down as well as the referee's sometimes puzzling interpretations of the rules, Fulham got back on track through a Calum Willock headed goal in the 62nd minute.

With Fulham increasing the pressure, Eddie Lewis cut inside on the left wing a floated a cross on to Willock's head. The finish was simple.

With the Whites searching for the winner, Steve Kean brought on Elvis Hammond for Jon Harley and changed formation to a 3-4-3 system. This made for a highly entertaining final 20 minutes as both sides threw caution to the wind in search of the winning goal.

That goal almost came for Fulham in the 80th minute after Willock latched on to a John Collins ball, rounded the 'keeper but couldn't quite find the angle after running slightly wide.

Fulham: Herrera, Hudson, Harley, Leacock, Knight, Collins, Goldbaek, Clark (Capt), Cornwall, Willock, Lewis

Subs Used:
Hutchinson on for Hudson H/T
Hammond on for Harley 70