Ladies win again

Sunday 17 February 2002

Fulham Ladies 15 Berkhamsted Town 0

Sunday 17th February 2002 at 2.00pm

Report from Vicky Brown

Fulham Ladies were on the attack from the kick-off. Sanchia Duncan went close in the first few minutes with a shot which just went past the post. With all the Fulham pressure an early goal was inevitable, and in the seventh minute Fulham broke with Marianne Pettersen, whose through pass set Duncan free. Duncan made no mistake with a well placed shot into the back of the net.

Four minutes later Fulham won a corner; taken by Rachel Unitt, Margunn Haugenes headed in from close range. Two more corners taken by Unitt, saw Kristy Moore and Pettersen score two further goals. Berkhamsted were having trouble coping with the quality crosses being sent over by both Unitt and Haugenes. Fortunately for Berkhamsted, their keeper Tracey Perry was pulling off some excellent saves, particularly a couple of powerful shots by Rachel McArthur.

However their defence buckled once again after good work by Pettersen in the penalty box. She laid it back to Kim Jerray-Silver, who then unleashed an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.

Berkhamsted conceded yet another corner and Pettersen rose to score her second. Duncan got her second four minutes later, after some nifty footwork; she made room for herself and placed the ball into the corner of the net. And then a minute before the end of the first half Haugenes joined Duncan and Pettersen on two each, with a shot come cross, which looped over the keeper.

The start of the second half saw two Fulham substitutions - Lyn Rebecca Mork and Deena Rahman replaced Rachel McArthur and Katie Chapman.

Mary Phillip who was once again dominant in defence had a couple of chances herself and saw one well taken shot come back off the post and into the hands of the keeper. Fulham increased their lead in the 48th minute after good play between Jerray-Silver and Pettersen. Duncan was on hand to slot the ball into the net and complete her hat trick.

Pettersen completed her hat trick soon after. The ball came through to her; she rounded the keeper and from an acute angle smashed the ball into the net. Fulham had reached double figures in 54 minutes.

Berkhamsted were battling hard in defence and endeavouring to keep the score down. Pettersen had more chances, shooting just wide and one cracking shot which came back off the post. Fulham were ripping through Berkhamsted's defence and they conjured up another flowing attack, Duncan to Mork, whose cross was volleyed in by Haugenes for her hat trick.

The goals continued with good play between Moore and Pettersen, who dummied the defender and slotted the ball through to Dunca, who scored from close range.

In the 67th minute Jody Smith replaced Kristy Moor, making an immediate impact, with a couple of strong runs down the right flank and some good crosses. Duncan made it 13-0 in the 74th minute, after a misunderstanding between Berkhamsted's keeper and central defender. Duncan passed the ball into an empty net.

There were two further goals to come, Mary Phillip put an excellent pass through to Duncan who made no mistake with her shot and capped an excellent forward display with six goals. And Smith put in an excellent cross, which Pettersen blasted into the net.

Fulham Ladies fully deserved their 15-0 victory; they dominated throughout, not only in attack but also in defence where Astrid Johannessen did not have one save to make.

Sanchia Duncan: 7 mins, 37 mins, 48 mins, 65 mins, 74 mins, 83 mins
Margunn Haugenes: 11 mins, 39 mins, 57 mins
Kristy Moore: 15 mins
Marianne Pettersen: 16 mins, 33 mins, 54 mins, 87 mins
Kim Jerray-Silver: 26 mins.