Ladies smash Barnet

Monday 18 March 2002

Fulham Ladies 18 v 0 Barnet, The London School of Economics Sports Ground, Sunday 17th March 2002

Match Report by Carol Gale

Fulham Ladies got off to a flying start with a goal in the first minute. Katie Chapman won a corner, Haugenes sent in the cross, Chapman headed it on and there was Marianne Pettersen on hand to knock the ball in from close range. Fulham were passing the ball around excellently and extended the lead in the third minute when Chapman unmarked headed in another Haugenes corner.

Three further goals followed in the first ten minutes. Kristy Moore sent over a good cross and Margunn Haugenes sneaked in ahead of the defender to nod the ball into the back of the net. Pettersen saw her snap shot come back off the post and Deena Rahman was on hand to slot the ball into the net for Fulham's fourth. And then to complete an explosive ten minutes, Rachel McArthur saw her looping cross carried over the line by Barnet's keeper.

Barnet got themselves into the game and were able to break on a couple of occasions themselves and tightened up their defence. It wasn't until the 23rd minute that Fulham increased their lead, after an excellent goal-kick by Johannessen, saw Pettersen race through he shot was well save by Barnet's keeper, only for the ball to break to Kristy Moore who slotted the ball into the net.

Katie Chapman, who was having a commanding performance in midfield, spreading the ball perfectly around the field, put in a good ball to Sanchia Duncan, whose shot gave the keeper no chance. Fulham notched up three more goals in the last five minutes of the first half. Inside the Barnet penalty area, Pettersen put in an intelligent pass to Rahman, who passed the ball under the oncoming keeper. Then two excellent individuals goals, one from Moore with a dipping shot from the corner of the penalty area; and Duncan completed an excellent first half Fulham display with an excellent run and powerful shot.

Barnet began the second half far more confidently, and had a couple of chances but the final ball was letting them down. They also for the first 15 minutes were keeping Fulham's attack at bay. However after a Barnet attack, Fulham countered and broke quickly with Pettersen down the wing and her cross saw Haugenes nod the ball into the net. That seemed the spur to get Fulham dominating the game again, and three minutes later it was 12 - 0 when Pettersen headed in a corner by Rachel Unitt.

In the 65th minute Fulham brought on Ronnie Gibbons, Lyn Rebecca Mork and Rachel Yankey for Rachel McArthur, Katie Chapman and Sanchia Duncan.

After good work by Haugenes, Moore rounded the keeper and passed the ball into the net to complete her hat trick. Barnet conceded an own goal in the 74th minute.

Then Pettersen added three more goals to her tally - one a classic forward's strike from within the penalty area, turning the defender and shooting in one movement. She then headed in a corner unchallenged. And once again after more good work by Haugenes, who had beaten a couple of players down the left wing, got into the penalty box and laid it back for Pettersen, who was not going to miss from six yards out.

Then to complete an excellent team performance, Yankey who in the short time she was on caused Barnet no end of trouble, put in an excellent cross and Moore got on the end of it with a diving header. A fitting end to a very professional performance.

Marianne Pettersen (1 min) (64 mins) (76 mins) (79 mins) (85 mins)
Katie Chapman (3 mins)
Margunn Haugenes (5 mins) (61 mins)
Deena Rahman (7 mins) (41 mins)
Rachel McArthur (8 mins)
Kristy Moore (23 mins) (43 mins) (72 mins) (88 mins)
Sanchia Duncan (37 mins) (45 mins)
Own Goal (74 mins)