Ladies news

Monday 25 March 2002


On a bright sunny day at Motspur Park, the Reserves kicked off at 12.30pm in order for some players to go the men's game at 4.00pm.

Fulham started brightly enough with some slick passing, but didn't create any worthwhile chances. Brighton had an injury early on and brought on Emma Mead, Brighton's top goal scorer in their first team.

A mix up in the Fulham defence led to Brighton's opener, but just before half-time it went from bad to worse for Fulham when two players Roxanne Bennett and Karen Mears had to leave the pitch with injuries.

The second half was much better for the Black & Whites as their pressure created chances and corners. Nicola Carter's long throws were a constant threat to the Brighton defence.

A Percival through ball found Davis who slotted home from close range for Fulham's equaliser.

Collins went close from a flick on by Lindfield but then the same combination produced the Lilly Whites second. A brave header looping over the keeper's head.

Collins went down injured and had to come off soon after for Lyford.

There were one or two scares at the back but the experience of ex-professionals Hynes and Petersen calmed the Fulham defence.

On 72 minutes disaster struck when Holly Cox Fulham's young goalkeeper, injured her hand in a frustrating incident which involved Brighton's centre forward blasting the ball at Cox as she was given off-side.

With all substitutes having been made Cox had to leave the field of play and right back Jemma Lynfield volunteered to go in goal. The Black&Whites were down to 10 players.

Minutes later Kirsty Percival who has been selected for the England U17 squad to play in Scotland next week, went up for a header and came down and crashed to the floor with concussion. Physio Suzanne Bowen was kept busy all afternoon and signalled to the bench that Percival could not carry on. With 9 players management team Mulcahey and Perrin re-organised the team, with Lyford playing as a lone striker.

Lyford did well to gain a corner and from her cross Davis rose in the box to head the ball into the top corner fore a fantastic third goal.

Midfield of Wilson, Daly and Davis worked tirelessly with the back four also excellent.

Sinclair-Chambers gave away a free kick on the edge of the box. From the resulting free-kick Lynfield made a great save but could only deflect the ball to Emma Mead who slotted home.

For 6 long minutes Fulham hung on and showed great commitment and endeavour to win the game.

Manager Mulcahey commented

"In 9 years of managing women's football teams I have never known a game like it. The players were magnificent and we probably deserved to win it. Luckily we have 10 days off until our next game so some of our players will recover from their injuries"