Loan Round-Up

Monday 2 December 2013 09:00

Buomesca Tué Na Bangna enjoyed a winning debut as he and Neil Etheridge helped Crewe Alexandra to a 1-0 home win over Crawley Town in Sky Bet League One.

The pair both played 90 minutes and Mesca had a chance fall his way early on but the ball was just taken off his toe as he shaped to shoot after he’d been found by fellow loanee Tom Hitchcock.

Etheridge had to be alert in the Alex goal and after he’d done well to deal with a heavy back pass, he then made a super stop to push Jamie Proctor’s fierce effort onto the crossbar.

Crewe’s task was made all the more difficult in the second period when Vadaine Oliver was dismissed for two bookable offences in quick succession. Etheridge then made a couple of important saves which proved crucial as substitute Chuks Aneke popped up late on to head in the opener.

Etheridge was busy in the closing stages, but equal to everything Crawley threw at him as Crewe held on for a first win in nine.

A division above, Birmingham City claimed a comfortable 3-0 win away to Barnsley, with Dan Burn playing the entirety of the clash.

Paul Caddis handed Blues the lead with a well-struck shot as early as the 13th minute, and the right-back doubled the advantage from the penalty spot after Nikola Zigic had been fouled by Jean-Yves M'Voto.

And the match was all but over as a contest in the 37th minute when Zigic netted with a neat chip, as Lee Clark’s men secured a second consecutive win on the road.

Ryan Williams played 90 minutes as Oxford United maintained their spot at the summit of Sky Bet League Two with a 1-1 draw at Fleetwood Town.

The Australian winger had his name in the referee’s notebook following a mistimed challenge just six minutes into the game, and the U’s were behind not long after courtesy of a fine Steven Schumacher free-kick.

The visitors responded well, though, and almost found an equaliser when Williams met Josh Ruffels’ cross, but his header was kept out by Scott Davies. And the Fulham loanee went close again in the second half, only to see his powerful effort blocked when he followed up from James Constable’s effort, which had also been stopped by a defender.

With time running out, Oxford were awarded a penalty for a foul on Dave Kitson, but Danny Rose saw his strike kept out by Davies. They kept at it, though, and were rewarded in the 89th minute when Kitson headed into the corner of the net.

Elsewhere in the division, Marcus Bettinelli saved a penalty but Accrington Stanley went down to a narrow 1-0 defeat at Northampton Town.

Bettinelli had already denied Stuart Dallas once by the time the Cobblers took the lead, but he was unable to keep out the Northern Ireland international’s 29th minute strike.

The home side had the perfect opportunity to double their advantage when debutant Izale McLeod went over in the area but Bettinelli got down well to keep out the striker’s subsequent spot kick.

Stanley were unable to build on that save, though, as their eight-game unbeaten run came to an end in the East Midlands.

In the First Round of the FA Trophy, Charles Banya had an impressive game as Woking won 3-0 away at Hereford United.

The young winger played 72 minutes and claimed an assist for the first goal when his pass set up Scott Rendell. Jack Marriott then doubled the advantage, with Rendell grabbing his second to ensure the Cards would be in the draw for the next round.

Related Content