Loan Round-Up

Monday 11 March 2013 10:00

Matthew Briggs made his Watford debut on Saturday and played the full 90 minutes as they lost 2-1 at home to Blackpool in the npower Championship.

Cristian Battocchio’s chipped effort had put the Hornets ahead just before the half-hour mark and they held the lead until 76 minutes when Thomas Ince steered home the equaliser. Gary MacKenzie then found the back of the net with two minutes remaining to bring an end to Watford’s unbeaten run. Gianfranco Zola’s side remain second in the league, although leaders Cardiff City could go 11 points clear at the top if they win their two games in hand.

A division below, Marcello Trotta was also on the losing side as Brentford went down 2-0 to Carlisle United at Brunton Park. The Italian was the Bees’ most dangerous player, but a series of good blocks and decent saves by home keeper Mark Gillespie denied the striker as goals from Sean O’Hanlon and Mark Beck secured victory for the Cumbrians.

Elsewhere in League One, there was better news for Dan Burn as he helped Yeovil Town earn a goalless draw at Hartlepool United. In an uneventful game, the Glovers came closest to opening the scoring when Paddy Madden hit the bar, but the draw keeps Gary Johnson’s side in fifth position – a point and a place above Trotta’s Brentford.

Marcus Bettinelli was on the winning side as Dartford came from behind to defeat top-of-the-table Wrexham 2-1 in the Blue Square Bet Premier.

The Welsh side had looked set to extend their 13-match unbeaten run when Danny Wright put them ahead in the first half, but Jack Evans equalised with a quarter of an hour remaining, before Elliot Bradbrook’s header won it for the Darts in stoppage time.

In the same division, James Musa played 90 minutes as Hereford United drew 1-1 with Luton Town. The Bulls were on course for victory when Marlon Jackson put them ahead on 23 minutes, only for David Martin to earn the Hatters a point with just three minutes remaining.

In the Blue Square Bet South, Richard Peniket played the entire match as Farnborough defeated Eastbourne Borough 1-0, with Matt Ball scoring the decisive goal on 14 minutes.

Finally, in the Hyundai A-League, Corey Gameiro played 69 minutes as Wellington Phoenix went down 2-1 to Western Sydney Wanderers.

Penalties from Shinji Ono and Mark Bridge put Wanderers firmly in control, with Jeremie Brockie grabbing a consolation for the Phoenix.