Loan Round-Up

Wednesday 9 October 2013 08:30

Cauley Woodrow grabbed a brace but was unable to prevent Southend United from crashing out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy as his loan side lost 5-2 at home to Dagenham & Redbridge.

With the Shrimpers trailing at half-time to Zavon Hines’ header, manager Phil Brown sent Woodrow on at the interval and was almost immediately rewarded when the striker headed home his first ever senior goal in the 51st minute.

And Woodrow put his side in front just minutes later when he tapped in from close range after Dagenham keeper Jordan Seabright failed to hold Kevan Hurst’s strike from distance.

That was as good as it got for Southend, though, as a calamitous nine-minute period saw them concede four goals. Brian Saah headed in former Fulham midfielder Matthew Saunders’ cross to equalise, with Hines then putting his side back in front on the hour mark.

Chris Dickson made it 4-2 moments later, with substitute Afolabi Obafemi adding a fifth in the 66th minute to ensure last season’s finalists exited the competition at the Second Round stage.

“It was great to get two goals,” Cauley told Southend’s official website after the game. “But obviously I’m gutted, and all the lads are gutted, that we’ve lost, and especially to concede five goals.”

Elsewhere in the competition, Ryan Williams and Oxford United were defeated 2-1 at home by the Australian’s former club Portsmouth.

Williams was lively during his 73 minutes on the pitch, and created a decent goalscoring opportunity for James Constable who shot too close to the goalkeeper with a quarter of an hour played.

Patrick Agyemang opened the scoring in fine style with 66 minutes gone when he bent one into the net with the outside of his boot, before John Marquis doubled the lead on 82. Constable pulled one back for the U’s, but they were unable to find an equaliser in the closing stages.

Marcello Trotta was the third Fulham player to see his loan side exit the competition, playing the full 90 minutes as Brentford were beaten 2-1 at Peterborough United.

A Martin Taylor own goal had set Posh on their way after 18 minutes, with Grant McCann’s second-half penalty putting them firmly in control of the tie. Ben Nugent pulled a goal back with 10 minutes remaining, and Trotta came close to an equaliser at the death when his effort was kept out by Robert Olejnik.

Related Content