Loan Round-Up

Monday 14 October 2013 10:00

Marcello Trotta played 70 minutes as Brentford were defeated 2-1 at Stevenage Borough in Sky Bet League One on Saturday.

The Italian striker almost broke the deadlock inside 60 seconds when he rose highest to head Shaleum Logan’s cross goalwards, only to see Stevenage keeper Chris Day make a decent save. Trotta then had a key role in the opening goal on 13 minutes when he played a one-two with Jonathan Douglas who burst through before lifting the ball over Day, with Clayton Donaldson making sure it crossed the line.

The lead lasted just two minutes though as Bees stopper David Button was caught in possession by Francois Zoko, resulting in an easy goal for the Ivorian. Trotta then saw another effort saved, before Zoko grabbed his second of the afternoon from close range with 26 minutes played – a goal which proved to be the winner despite Brentford’s subsequent attacking onslaught.

In League Two, Cauley Woodrow was rewarded for his midweek brace with a starting berth as Southend United travelled to Burton Albion’s Pirelli Stadium – the venue of Fulham’s Capital One Cup Second Round victory earlier in the season.

Woodrow played the full 90 minutes and went close to opening the scoring in the first half only to be denied by Burton keeper Jordan Pickford. The Brewers then had Billy Kee sent off for a second yellow card before half-time, with Southend making their man advantage count late on when substitute Freddy Eastwood’s deflected strike beat Pickford.

Also in League Two, Marcus Bettinelli was in goal as Accrington Stanley went close to an upset at AFC Wimbledon, only for a late goal to ensure it was one point rather than three that they left London with.

Kayode Odejayi got the visitors off the mark in the 17th minute when he headed in from Lee Naylor’s corner, but the striker was then sent off before the interval for raising his hands to Callum Kennedy.

Bettinelli was an assured presence in goal and made several impressive saves to frustrate Wimbledon, but he was eventually beaten with four minutes remaining when Alan Bennett headed in. The Dons almost won it in stoppage time but Bettinelli was there to deny them once more to secure a point for his side.

Elsewhere in the division, Ryan Williams came on for the last quarter of an hour as Oxford United continued their fine start to the season with a 2-0 home win over Northampton Town.

Two goals in as many minutes just before half-time did the damage, as James Constable’s strike and Danny Rose’s penalty put the U’s firmly in control of the game.

Related Content