Loan Round-Up

Monday 10 August 2015 13:30

Liam Donnelly made his professional debut on Saturday as Crawley Town kicked off their Sky Bet League Two campaign with a 1-1 draw at Oxford United.

A Gwion Edwards header put the visitors in front 10 minutes into the second half, but Oxford levelled shortly after through Danny Hylton.

Elsewhere in the division, Stephen Arthurworrey played the whole game as Yeovil Town fought back from two goals down, only to lose 3-2 at Exeter City.

Tom Nichols’ penalty and a David Wheeler finish put the Grecians in control of proceedings in the first half, but Town fought back after the restart through Marc Laird and a spot-kick from Matthew Dolan.

But the home side had the final say as Will Hoskins marked his debut with the winning goal with just six minutes remaining.

In the Vanarama Conference South, Magnus Norman made his competitive debut for Hayes & Yeading, who were beaten 4-3 at home by Whitehawk.

Things started well for the hosts and they were two goals up inside the opening 24 minutes courtesy of an Elliott Benyon goal and a spot-kick from Fulham Academy graduate Ismael Ehui.

Whitehawk’s Arnaud Mendy was sent off after receiving a second yellow card as he gave away the penalty, but the man advantage lasted just a couple of minutes as Evans Kouassi was also sent for an early bath after he was punished for kicking out.

Jake Robinson pulled one back for the Brighton-based side, and a stoppage time strike for either side from Luke Williams and Sergio Torres made the score 3-2 going into half-time.

The visitors flew out of the blocks after the break, though, and won the game courtesy of two quickfire goals from Danny Mills.

In the Barclays Premier League, Maarten Stekelenburg was beaten twice as Southampton drew away to Newcastle United.

Saints went ahead at St James’ Park when Graziano Pelle headed in midway through the first half, but goals from Papiss Cisse and debutant Georginio Wijnaldum either side of the interval turned the game on its head.

Shane Long restored parity on 79 minutes with a header from Dusan Tadic’s cross, as the two sides were forced to settle for a point.

Over in Portugal, Kostas Mitroglou came on as a 71st minute substitute as Benfica lost 1-0 to Sporting Lisbon in the Super Cup on Sunday.

Teo Gutierrez deflected in what proved to be the winning goal on 52 minutes, as Sporting – who gave a debut to former Fulham man Bryan Ruiz – claimed the early bragging rights.