International Round-Up

Saturday 14 November 2015 11:00

George Williams came on for the final half an hour of Wales’ 3-2 friendly defeat by the Netherlands on Friday night at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Bas Dost headed the Dutch in front with 32 minutes played, but Joe Ledley ensured Chris Coleman’s men went into the break level when he tucked home the rebound after Joe Allen had seen his penalty saved.

A neat run and finish from Arjen Robben restored Holland’s advantage, only for Emyr Huws to equalise once again.

And the Dutch captain settled the contest with nine minutes remaining when he got on the end of a through ball and slotted beyond substitute goalkeeper Owain Fon Williams.

Tim Ream played 90 minutes as the United States got their qualifying campaign for the 2018 World Cup off to a great start with a 6-1 win over St Vincent & the Grenadines.

St Vincent startled the home crowd in St Louis when they took the lead through Oalex Anderson with just five minutes played, but the States were level shortly after when Bobby Wood headed in from close range.

Two goals in three minutes around the half hour mark then put the USA in control of proceedings, with Fabian Johnson’s deflected free-kick and Jozy Altidore’s header finding the net.

It was another header that made it 4-1 when Stoke City’s Geoff Cameron nodded in after the restart, before Gyasi Zardes slotted through the legs of the St Vincent goalkeeper to make it five.

Altidore had the final say with a deflected finish with quarter of an hour remaining, and his brace saw him overtake Brian McBride in the United States’ all time scoring charts.

At Under-21 level, Lasse Vigen Christensen captained Denmark to a 3-0 win in Romania in their European Championship qualifier.

A brace from Frederik Børsting put the Scandinavians in the ascendancy inside half an hour, while Kenneth Zohore added some gloss to the scoreline late on to move Denmark to within two points of their hosts, having played two games less.

In Group 2, Sean Kavanagh was sent off in the closing stages of the Republic of Ireland’s 3-1 defeat in Lithuania.

Conor Wilkinson had cancelled out Lukas Spalvis’ opener a minute before half-time, but Lithuania went into the break in front after Simonas Stankevicius netted from the edge of the box.

Donatas Kazlauskas added a third with 72 minutes played, and Ireland’s disappointing evening was compounded when Kavanagh was shown a straight red card for a foul with a minute remaining.

On Saturday morning, Aron Davies played the entirety of Wales Under-19s’ 2-0 defeat in Austria.

Second half goals from Xaver Schlager and Petar Pavlovic did the damage, with Wales now needing a victory in their final match against Albania to guarantee progression to the next round of Euro qualifying.

Related Content