Tunnicliffe: I'd Rather Have Won

Tuesday 6 October 2015 09:00

Ryan Tunnicliffe admitted his first goal for Fulham counted for little after the Whites threw away a 2-0 lead to draw at Charlton Athletic on Sunday.

On his 35th appearance for the Whites, Tunnicliffe bagged his first goal for the Club when he tapped home just after the half-hour mark at The Valley after Nick Pope fumbled Ross McCormack’s free-kick.

Tunnicliffe then claimed an assist when he set up McCormack for Fulham’s second. But the midfielder acknowledged he was then at fault as Charlton clawed one back in the 81st minute, failing to pick up substitute Johnny Jackson at a corner and seeing the Addicks man score with his first touch. A late, late Jordan Cousins header in the sixth minute of added time then saw Charlton snatch a point.

“We should have had the game finished off,” Tunnicliffe told the official website. “We had a few chances and were in control but it was my man for their first goal, for the header, and it gets them back in the game with 10 minutes to go.

“And then poor defending from the team for the last goal… it’s not good enough, we should be seeing those games out and being professional.

“I’m pleased to get on the scoresheet but I’d rather have won. It doesn’t really matter that I scored because it comes with a draw when we should have won.

“Everyone’s down, it felt like a defeat. But we’ve got two weeks now to mull it over, look at what went wrong and then we’ve got another big game again following the international break.”

Fulham head to second-placed Middlesbrough on Saturday 17th October and Tunnicliffe expects a tough test against a side tipped by many for promotion.

“They’re a good team, everyone knows that from last season and they’ve started off well this term too,” said Tunnicliffe. “But as you saw at Charlton we went away from home and played with no fear, went 2-0 up and should have won the game quite comfortably. But we didn’t so we’ll need to defend a bit better when we go up there.”

Suspended for the first two games of the season, Tunnicliffe had to wait until Fulham’s sixth match of the campaign – the 3-0 win over Sheffield United in the League Cup – for his first appearance of the term. He’s been ever-present in the league since.

“I had to wait for my chance but I’ve got back in and hopefully I’ve been doing well enough to keep my place,” added Tunnicliffe. “It was nice to get a goal and an assist at Charlton but we should have won.”