Loan Round-Up

Monday 4 April 2016 10:15

Jordan Evans played the full 90 minutes at Wembley as Oxford United were beaten 3-2 by Barnsley in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final on Sunday.

In front of almost 60,000 spectators, Evans’ long range free-kick drew a good save from Tykes goalkeeper Adam Davies, who was then beaten by Callum O’Dowda’s header just before the half-hour mark.

League One Barnsley improved after the break, though, and turned the Final on its head through Chey Dunkley’s own goal and Ashley Fletcher’s finish.

Adam Hammill’s fine curling strike then looked to have settled matters, but the U’s provided an immediate response to make it 3-2 when Danny Hylton nodded home.

However, they were unable to force an equaliser and so Evans and his teammates had to settle for runners-up medals.

Evans spoke to after the game about his Wembley experience. Head back to the website on Monday afternoon to read what he had to say.

A day earlier, Ben Pringle played the first 69 minutes of Ipswich Town’s goalless draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux.

The visitors had the better chances to win it, as Liam Feeney hit a post and Brett Pitman saw his effort cleared off the line.

The point keeps the Tractor Boys in eighth spot in the Sky Bet Championship.

In League One, George Williams was a half-time introduction as Gillingham were held 0-0 at home by Coventry City.

City’s Jacob Murphy – whose twin brother Josh scored Milton Keynes Dons’ goal at the Cottage – went as close as anyone when his long-distance strike came back off a post. The result sees the Gills remain fourth.

Elsewhere, 10-man Shrewsbury Town were humbled 5-1 by top-of-the-table Wigan Athletic at Greenhous Meadow.

Jack Grimmer played the full 90, and the Shrews actually took the lead through Sullay Kaikai’s goal.

Conor McAleny’s volley ensured the sides went in level at the break, and efforts after the restart from Yanic Wildschut and Jason Pearce put the Latics in control.

Town’s Zak Whitbread was then dismissed for fouling Will Grigg in the area, who then subsequently dispatched the resulting spot-kick, before grabbing a fifth in stoppage time.

The defeat saw Shrewsbury drop down to 18th in the standings.

Marek Rodák helped Welling Town to an impressive 2-1 triumph away to Play-Off hopefuls Tranmere Rovers in the Vanarama National League.

Lee Vaughan put the hosts in front but United responded immediately through Ian Gayle.

And they sealed the victory in the second half when Kadell Daniel converted a Nortei Nortey pass to put them to within five points of safety.

The day before, Cameron Burgess played the entirety of Cheltenham Town’s 3-1 home win over Grimsby Town.

A James Dayton free-kick had put them in front, but the Mariners hit back in the second half through Andy Monkhouse.

The scores were level for just six minutes, though, as Harry Pell restored the Robins’ lead, before Danny Wright made sure of the points.

The win temporarily put them five points clear at the top of the Conference, but it was cut to four after Forest Green secured a draw the next day.

Elsewhere on Friday, Kostas Mitroglou grabbed a brace as Benfica thumped Sporting Braga 5-1.

The Greece international opened the scoring 17 minutes in, and a Jonas penalty and Pizzi strike put them 3-0 up going into the break.

Another Mitroglou goal and an effort by his compatriot Andreas Samaris then put them further in front, although Braga did score a consolation goal in stoppage time through Pedro Santos.

Benfica now have a five-point gap at the top of the Primeira Liga.

In Denmark on Sunday, FC Midtjylland leapfrogged opponents Brondby in the standings to go fourth with a 2-0 home win.

Nikolay Bodurov featured for the whole game, as a goal in either half from Rilwan Hassan and Martin Pusic did the damage.

Related Content