Loan Round-Up

Monday 18 April 2016 10:06

Cameron Burgess and Cheltenham Town sealed promotion back to the Football League at the first attempt after beating FC Halifax Town 2-0 on Saturday to clinch the Vanarama National League title.

Burgess played the whole match as Dan Holman’s first-half brace did the damage. And promotion was confirmed by Forest Green Rovers' loss at home to Woking.

At the other end of the table, there was heartbreak for Marek Rodák and Welling United as the Wings were relegated to the National League South after a heavy 4-0 defeat at fellow strugglers Chester.

John Rooney was denied from the penalty spot by Rodák but soon redeemed himself with a curling shot from 12 yards in the 17th minute. Rooney then doubled Chester's lead just after the break before turning provider for Kane Richards to net the third on 66.

Tom Shaw wrapped up the win in the 84th minute as Welling returned to the National League South for the first time since the 2012/13 season.

In Sky Bet League One, Jack Grimmer and Larnell Cole both started as Shrewsbury Town earned a late point in a 1-1 home draw with Bradford City.

Cole was withdrawn after 39 minutes and the promotion-chasing Bantams took the lead when Tony McMahon’s cross was headed in by Jamie Proctor on 71.

But Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro beat Ben Williams to the ball with six minutes left to draw Shrewsbury level. Town are 20th, two points clear of fourth-from-bottom Blackpool.

A division lower, Jordan Evans played the full 90 as second-placed Oxford United lost 3-2 at home to Luton Town.

The hosts took the lead as Danny Hylton netted from Kemar Roofe’s pass in the second minute. But Joe Pigott leveled just before the break and Olly Lee put the visitors in front moments later.

Oxford drew level on 51 when Chey Dunkley headed in Chris Maguire's free-kick but Pigott’s tidy finish soon after gave Luton all three points and condemned United to a first loss in six to hand Northampton Town the title.

Related Content