Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 Fulham

Saturday 16 July 2016 16:00

Fulham's pre-season campaign continued with an impressive 1-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur in a behind-closed-doors encounter on Saturday afternoon.

In what was an even match of few chances, the game was settled in the 88th minute when Luca de la Torre fired home following good work by fellow Academy man Stephen Humphrys.

At Spurs' Enfield training complex, the home side had the only real chance of the opening stages two minutes in when their young striker was slipped in, but Marcus Bettinelli - who wore the Captain's armband with Scott Parker on the bench and Ross McCormack receiving treatment at Motspur Park - made himself big to repel the effort.

Tottenham continued to probe but regularly found themselves denied by a series of timely Michael Madl interceptions.

We had to wait until the 26th minute for another chance, but Heung-Son Min's effort after cutting inside never looked like finding the target.

Fulham's best opening came just after the half hour mark when good work down the left ended with an in-field ball to Cauley Woodrow, but the striker's snapshot on his left peg was pushed behind by Michel Vorm.

The subsequent corner was played short before being worked to Dennis Adeniran 20 yards out, but his looping strike was easy enough for Vorm.

And it was the visitors who created the best opening prior to the break when Woodrow's strong hold-up play presented Floyd Ayité with a shooting chance, but he dragged his low shot just wide of the near post.

Slaviša Jokanović made four changes at the break, and within three minutes one of them created a chance when Lasse Vigen Christensen managed to keep Ryan Fredericks' deep cross in. Unfortunately nobody was on hand to convert his cutback from the byline.

Just after the hour mark wholesale changes were made, including Denis Odoi for his first Fulham run-out, and the right-back soon received a cute back-heel from fellow substitute de la Torre, allowing him to feed Humphrys with a square ball. The young forward's first time effort was blocked, though.

The Whites were creating the better chances but Spurs were not without their threat. Shayon Harrison sent in a dipping volley from long range in the 70th minute, but Jesse Joronen showed good reflexes to tip it over.

Shortly after, a Fulham counter-attack saw Humphrys slip strike partner Matt Smith in. He went round Spurs stopper Luke McGee before going down, but the referee decided the newly introduced goalkeeper had got a touch on the ball.

With time running out Spurs squandered a couple of half chances, first when Nacer Chadli blazed over from a tight angle, and then when Harrison missed the target.

But with just two minutes remaining Fulham snatched the win. A clever ball down the left was collected by Humphrys who had found space. He looked up before cutting back to de la Torre who had time to compose himself before coolly placing a shot into the far corner.

Tottenham had two chances to equalise at the death but they were twice denied by Joronen; first when he pushed a dangerous effort from new £17m signing Vincent Janssen  wide, and then in the final action of the game when he tipped over Harrison’s attempt from the resulting corner.

Fulham team: Bettinelli (Joronen 61); Fredericks (Odoi 61), Madl (Kalas 45), Ream (Stearman 61), Sessegnon (Edun 61); Tunnicliffe (de la Torre 61), Adeniran (Parker 45); Cairney (Adeniran 61), Aluko (Humphrys 45), Ayité (Christensen 45); Woodrow (Smith 61)

Related Content