Göttingen Day Three

Sunday 7 January 2018 08:31

Day three at the Sparkasse & VGH Cup was more challenging for the Young Whites as they came up against professional teams in the form of Hertha BSC and Eintracht Braunschweig.

Fulham won both matches 2-1 and 4-1 to ensure they finished top of the group stage, and FC Bruges & Hamburg wait for them in the qualifiers on Sunday morning. Those victories meant they finished with six out of six wins, scoring 28 on the way.

Fulham had the first couple of forays forward, Ryan De Havilland and Jayden Harris were trying to link together up top and Tyrese Francois struck over the bar from distance, and Julian Schwarzer did well to palm an effort wide early on.

Harris stole the ball high up the pitch and pulled the ball back from De Havilland, but the keeper did well to stop the ball on the line a couple of minutes in.

De Havilland in the fourth minute pulled the ball back for Harris and the edge of the area as he rifled a shot away, the keeper made another excellent save.

Berlin countered quickly and hit the post, it was close. Fulham were enjoying the majority of possession and were moving the ball well, looking dangerous themselves.

Nicolas-Santos-Clase made the breakthrough four and a half minutes in, Francois slotted a perfectly weighted ball through the middle, and a little flick from the Spaniard was enough to beat the keeper.

Both Reece York and Djed Spence shot from distance, and when the ball was turned over Dan Martin did well to recover in midfield for the Young Whites.

With four minutes left on the clock Fulham scored again with the same move, Francois as a quarter-back squeezed a ball through the midfield and found Harris, with quick feet he turned and tucked his shot into the bottom left corner. 

Fulham lost possession with just over two minutes left on the clock, the ball was pulled back to Benjemin Gratz and his shot went in off the bar to make it 2-1, setting up a tense end to the match.

The Young White were able to see out the remainder of the game to retain their perfect start to the tournament.

The second match was against Eintracht Braunschweig. It was the Germans who got the first shot away from the edge of the area, Schwarzer was standing strong. 

De Havilland swept a ball into the box for Harris two minutes in but the ball was nicked at the vital second.

Fulham were pelting efforts at goal, Spence and Jose Garrido managed a couple of shots on target from tight angles.

It was more of a match of attrition for the opening five minutes, but Sonny Hilton with a fake found some space to shoot and broke the deadlock for Fulham. Braunschweig only needed 30 seconds to put it back on level terms to 1-1.

With seven minutes to go, Jaydn Mundle-Smith turned over possession quickly and set Santos-Clase free for a two-on-one. He went himself and curled his shot into the top right corner to take the advantage again.

Two minutes later, Harris dragged his marker wide created space for Francois in the middle of the pitch. From outside of the area he slammed a shot into the bottom right to make it 3-1 to the Young Whites.

De Havilland made it four in the next minute securing the win, he picked up a stray ball in midfield and hammered it past the keeper.

Francois created a few more chances that the Young Whites didn’t finish off, and Fulham saw out the game to finish top of their group, maintaining their 100% record going into the final day.

Related Content