Away Days: Part One

Sunday 1 July 2018 06:00

Club Historian Alex White recalls trips to Tottenham, Brighton and Manchester City - our first three away days of the 2018/19 season.

Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham (Wembley Stadium) - Saturday 18th August

I saw Fulham play at White Hart Lane for the first time on the 11th February 1967. My overwhelming memory of this match was the fight between Fred Callaghan and Terry Venables which led to them both being sent off. Funnily enough when Fulham played there in January 1998 in a FA Cup tie I was sitting next to Fred and asked him about this incident. He said that he and Terry were actually friends off the pitch and it was something that had happened on the spur of the moment. Victor Railton in the Evening Classified wrote: "Following a tussle near the Fulham goalmouth Venables and Callaghan had to be parted by col­leagues. John Dempsey, who went to the assistance of his Fulham colleague, also appeared to have his name taken. This was one of the most amazing scenes I have seen at a London ground." Allan Clarke was also lucky to not get sent off as he appeared to kick Venables. Fulham lost the game 4-2.

Our goals came when Johnny Haynes, picking up a pass from Clarke in midfield, ran to the edge of the penalty box and right-footed the ball through a group of players to level after 17 minutes, and George Cohen whipped a pass upfield straight to the feet of Clarke who equalised after 44 minutes to make the score 2-2 at the break. The attendance was 43,961.

Brighton & Hove Albion v Fulham (Amex Stadium) - Saturday 1st September

The first time that I saw Fulham win at Brighton's Goldstone Ground came on the 16th April 1986. Fulham were struggling at the bottom of the Second Division so the victory came as a surprise for our first win there since 1932. After only six minutes Fulham skipper Cliff Carr was carried off with a bad leg injury to be replaced by youngster Roddy Brathwaite (pictured) for only his second game for the Club. Danny Wilson had given Brighton a third minute lead but Brathwaite equalised for Fulham after 25 minutes. An excellent pass from Leo Donnellan was touched home past the diving former Whites 'keeper Perry Digweed. Four minutes after half-time, Terry Connor put Brighton back into the lead from what looked an offside position. However, Fulham did not give up and they won a free-kick on the edge of the box after Kenny Achampong was fouled. John Dreyer’s accurate chip deceiv­ed Digweed for a fine equaliser. Fulham contin­ued to counter attack and from another free kick Glenn Burvill, on loan from Reading, lobbed the ball over to the middle and Brathwaite shot first time. The ball seemed to be going wide until Chris Pike leaned forward to head home the winning goal. A friend of mine drove us down there but he was a terrible driver and I decided never to get in a car with him again.

Manchester City v Fulham (Etihad Stadium) - Saturday 15th September

I visited Maine Road for the first time on the 9th April 1975 for the FA Cup Semi-Final Replay with Birmingham City. John Mitchell scored the winning goal in the 120th minute from a knock down by John Dowie from Alan Slough's cross. Only 10 seconds of play remained when the game was restarted. Goalkeeper Peter Mellor, who began his professional career at Maine Road, also played a valuable part in the victory. He made crucial saves from Taylor’s first-half volley and close-range attempts by Burns and Hatton. We were all ecstatic at the end of the game and I remember a fellow Fulham supporter lying on the floor with his legs and arms going all over the place. An elderly Manchester City supporter looked at him as though he had gone mad. For some reason Manchester United's goalkeeper Alex Stepney joined in the celebrations with the players at the end of the match. The journey home in the club coaches took absolutely ages as both sets of supporters were leaving Manchester the same way to get home. I finally got home at 6.30am but did not mind as Fulham had reached their first FA Cup Final at Wembley.