U18s: Ipswich 2-1 Fulham

Wednesday 11 July 2018 14:13

Fulham’s Under-18s lost 2-1 away to Ipswich Town in their second pre-season friendly of the summer. Harvey Elliott put the Young Whites ahead early, however, Ipswich were able to come from behind.

It was a quick start for Fulham, putting the ball into the back of the net as they mounted their first attack.

Trialist A won the ball in the second minute after dropping into midfield, the ball was sprayed out to Elliott on the right wing. He took a touch in space and fired into the bottom left corner to gain the lead. 

10 minutes into the match and Ipswich were gaining their composure, starting to put pressure on Fulham’s defence but Tristan Cover and Scott Armsworth were able to clear. 

The pressure took its toll and Ipswich scored an equaliser in the 14th minute. Their number 9 was able to run through at goal after a ball deflected kindly into his path off Armsworth. Tony Stahl came off his line and the striker shot. 

Connor McAvoy dived in and hooked the ball into the back of his own net to make it 1-1.

Four minutes later the Young Whites went close again. Ben Davis curled a corner with pace into the box, Armsworth got above his defender and headed on target but the keeper managed to push his effort over the bar.

Ipswich took the lead in the 20th minute. A ball was lofted out to the winger, he pulled the ball down and fired. His shot pinged off the crossbar and into the back of the net to make it 2-1 to the hosts.

Fulham looked dangerous from corners, this time the ball was swung in from the right in the 33rd minute but Trialist A headed over the bar.

7 minutes before the break and Stahl made a strong save from close range to keep the deficit to one. Shortly afterwards Trialist A fired wide of the mark from Elliott’s cross.

In the second half Ipswich were shooting from distance but Stahl had it covered, Fulham countered and Elliott won a free kick in a dangerous position. He took it himself but couldn’t find the target.

Colin Omogbehin rang the chances 15 minutes in.

Five minutes later and Fulham broke quickly. Showkat Tahir used some clever trickery to keep the ball and sent the ball long to Elliott up the right wing.

Elliott pulled the ball back for Tahir who had sprinted to the edge of the area, faked a shot to create some space and pulled the trigger. He was denied by a strong save, and Davis was in an offside position for the tap in.

Davis and Elliott both had chances in the final quarter of an hour, but two strong diving saves denied them, keeping the score at 2-1. Elliott had one final attempt, sprinting past the defender and firing with his left but the Ipswich shot-stopper won the match.

FFC Lineup: Stahl, Page, Armsworth, McAvoy, Cover (60’ Trialist C), Antwi, Davis, Elliot, Frei (60’ Tahir), Trialist A (60’ Drameh) , Trialist B.

Related Content