Monday 20 November 2017, 7:00pm at Staplewood Training Ground, Southampton
Tella 24'; Barnes 35', 38'
Fulham FC
Graham 4'; Adebayo 14', 31'; Kwietniewski 82'

24' Goal

Nathan Tella

35' Goal

Marcus Barnes

38' Goal

Marcus Barnes

25' Yellow Card

James Ward-Prowse Card was given for a foul

49' Yellow Card

Pierre Hojbjerg Card was given for a foul

90'+1 Yellow Card

Jan Bednarek Card was given for a foul

20' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Jonathan Aolabi
Off:Matt Targett

4' Goal

Jordan Graham

14' Goal

Elijah Adebayo

31' Goal

Elijah Adebayo

82' Goal

Mikolaj Kwietniewski

33' Yellow Card

Steven Sessegnon Card was given for a foul

80' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Moritz Jenz
Off:Steven Sessegnon

87' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Rob Atkinson
Off:Matt O'Riley

88' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Michael Elstone
Off:Mikolaj Kwietniewski

A thrilling encounter on the south coast saw the Whites win their fourth in a row, with Kwietniewski grabbing a late winner.

Fulham’s Under-23s won a thrilling match at the Staplewood Training Ground 4-3 on Monday evening against Southampton.

The first half finished 3-3 as with the Whites went ahead twice before Mikolaj Kwietniewsk found the winner late in the second half.

Jordan Graham opened the scoring for Fulham and Elijah Adebayo nodded the second to double the lead. Southampton fought back through Nathan Tella, and Adebayo then made it 3-1 from close range.

Southampton scored two more in quick succession to bring the match level before the break. It was a tense second half; the match could have gone either way but Kwietniewski chipped the winner in the final 10 minutes and the Whites held on.

This was the first match back for the Whites since the international break. In their last match they lost in dramatic circumstances to Charlton Athletic in the Checkatrade Trophy at the Valley, conceding two late goals to end the encounter on the wrong side of 3-2.

However, Peter Grant’s side had strong league form, winning their last three consecutive matches and were looking for their fourth.

Steven Sessegnon, Rafa Soares, Marcelo Djalo and Graham had all be brought into the starting XI for this match.

It was a quick start from both teams, in the second minute Soares raced down the left wing and crossed to Adebayo. Alex McCarthy jumped out to claim the high ball 

Southampton broke at pace and Tella managed a shot on target but did not trouble Magnus Norman.

It was end to end for the start, the Whites raced forward and Adebayo tried his luck from the edge of the box, a block came in and he won a corner. The ball was whipped in and Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson poked on target.

The ball was cleared off the line, only as far as Graham and he slotted past McCarthy to break the deadlock.

The Whites managed to widen the gap in the 18th minute, Adebayo claimed the goal he was searching for. Thorsteinsson whipped a ball in from the left, Adebayo at the back post towered over his defender and nodded home to make it 2-0.

It took five minutes for Southampton to get back into the game, Tella raced through on goal, slipping his effort past Norman to make it 2-1.

31 minutes in and Fulham reinstated their two goal lead, Thorsteinsson whipped a ball from left to right, Graham picked the ball up and crossed hard and low to Adebayo, the number nine chipped the keeper from close range to make it 3-1.

Four minutes later the lead was narrowed to one goal. Southampton fired the ball across the 6-yard line and Marcus Barnes was waiting to slot the ball past Norman to make it 3-2.

In the 38th minute the match was level with the sixth goal of the half. Tella threaded a needle-point through ball to Barnes, and he shot hard from close range to score his second and make it 3-3.

The second half kicked off in the same vein as the first with both teams attacking hard.

Fulham had more impetus however, Graham, Thorsteinsson and Soares were linking up well down the left hand side.

55 minutes in Thorsteinsson changed the direction of play and sent a pinpoint ball to Sessegnon on the right, the right back rifled a shot into the side netting, it looked like the Whites had gone ahead for a moment.

With just over quarter of an hour to go Graham scored a sensational goal only for it to be disallowed.

The winger cut in and curled a shot into the top right corner, but to everyone’s disbelief a late flag went up for when he received the ball.

The match was won in the 82nd minute when Graham burnt the right back, the Southampton player went to ground claiming a foul but Graham continued his run and curled an early ball between the centre backs for Kwietniewski to chip the keeper for the winner.

Fulham held on for their fourth league win in a row. 

Match Information

Competition: PL2, Division 2

Date: Monday 20 November 2017
Kick-off: 7:00pm

Venue: Staplewood Training Ground, Southampton


Line-up: McCarthy; Pied, Stephens, Bednarek, Targett (Aolabi 20'); Hojbjerg, Ward-Prowse; Tella, Hesketh, McQueen; Barnes

Unused substitutes: Jones, Rose, Slattery, Mdlalose


Line-up: Norman; Sessegnon (Jenz 80'), Davies, Djalo, Soares; Harris, O'Riley (Atkinson 87'); Kwietniewski (Elstone 88'), Graham, Thorsteinsson; Adebayo

Unused substitutes: Ashby-Hammond, Pearce

Southampton (4-2-3-1)
  • 1Alex McCarthy
  • 2Jeremy Pied
  • 5Jack Stephens
  • 6Jan Bednarek
  • 3Matt Targett
  • 8Pierre Hojbjerg
  • 4James Ward-Prowse
  • 7Nathan Tella
  • 10Jake Hesketh
  • 11Sam McQueen
  • 9Marcus Barnes
  • 12Alfie Jones
  • 13Jack Rose
  • 14Callum Slattery
  • 15Siph Mdlalose
  • 16Jonathan Aolabi
Fulham (4-2-3-1)
  • 1Magnus Norman
  • 2Steven Sessegnon
  • 5Aron Davies
  • 6Marcelo Djalo
  • 3Rafa Soares
  • 8Jayden Harris
  • 4Matt O'Riley
  • 7Mikolaj Kwietniewski
  • 10Jordan Graham
  • 11Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson
  • 9Elijah Adebayo
  • 12Taye Ashby-Hammond
  • 14Rob Atkinson
  • 15Moritz Jenz
  • 16Michael Elstone
  • 17Isaac Pearce