Wednesday 22 April 2015, 7:00pm at Motspur Park, Surrey
Fulham FC
Fulham U21s
FC Porto U21s
Silva 41', 60', 90'+2

38' Yellow Card

Joshua Smile Card was given for a foul

39' Red Card

Liam Donnelly Card was given for violent conduct

71' Yellow Card

Marek Rodak Card was given for dissent

42' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Noe Baba
Off:Dean O'Halloran

70' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Luca de la Torre
Off:Tayo Edun

41' Goal

Leandro Silva

60' Goal

Leandro Silva

90'+2 Goal

Leandro Silva

54' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Marko Paulovski
Off:Tomas Podstanski

75' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Anderson Oliveira
Off:Andre Silva

83' Substitution

Player was substituted for tactical reasons
On:Luis Trabulo
Off:Frederic Maciel

A Leandro Silva hat-trick earned Porto a 3-0 win over Fulham U21s but that doesn’t tell the full story of this Semi-Final match.

A Leandro Silva hat-trick earned Porto B a 3-0 win over Fulham Under-21s on Wednesday evening, but that doesn’t tell the full story of this Premier League International Cup Semi-Final.

The Whites were more than a match for their continental opponents, but a red card for Liam Donnelly shortly before half-time gave them an uphill battle.

Silva then put the visitors in front a few minutes before the break, and added to his tally with two stunning strikes after the restart.

Despite the scoreline and their man disadvantage, Fulham continued to press and exit the competition at the last-four stage with their heads held high.

Porto had the first chance of the game three minutes in when Frederic Maciel stood a cross up to the far post where Andre Silva was lurking, but the forward’s thumping header came back off the near post.

The Whites responded with a barnstorming Ryheem Sheckleford run that saw him burst beyond his marker and cut back to Moussa Dembélé, but the Frenchman’s shot was blocked.

Ange-Freddy Plumain then beat two men down the left flank and played a clever inside pass to Jordan Evans, whose venomous shot whistled wide of the far stick.

Goncalo Paciencia burst through on goal with 12 minutes on the clock but dragged his low shot wide, before Maciel was denied in quick succession by Evans and Marek Rodák.

Dragons goalkeeper Ricardo Nunes was then called into action at the other end as he easily saved Dembélé’s shot, before a Plumain strike deflected kindly into his arms.

A Porto corner was met by Diego Silva on 19 minutes which required a save from Rodák, before Andre Silva was slipped in only for Jonathan Buatu to read the danger and take the ball off his toes.

Paciencia thought he’d broken the deadlock with 26 minutes played when he met a cross from the right, but somehow Rodák got across to pull off a fantastic save.

The next goalmouth action arrived seven minutes later when Paciencia shrieked and threw himself to the ground looking for a penalty. Cue titters from the home fans in the Motspur Park stand.

But it was moments later that it all kicked off. Josh Smile appeared to have won the ball as he went in for a 50/50 challenge, but a foul was given. That prompted the entire Porto team to surround the referee requesting the Fulham midfielder be sent off. He was booked but in the aftermath Donnelly was dismissed for squaring up to an opponent.

And it took just a matter of minutes for Porto to make their advantage count as a break down the right culminated in the ball being fed to Silva, who did the rest with a placed finish.

Noe Baba replaced Dean O’Halloran to shore up the defence, but Porto could have gone into half-time two up had Paciencia been more clinical with his shot that was kept out easily by Rodák in the end.

After the teams re-emerged it wasn’t particularly evident that one side had more players, but Porto did begin to turn the screw as time went on and doubled their lead on the hour mark with a sublime Silva effort from 25 yards.

The Whites responded with a Plumain cross-shot that needed palming away by Nunes and a Patrick Roberts free-kick that missed the target by a yard.

At the other end, Maciel took advantage of a rare Buatu mistake to fashion a shooting opportunity, but bent his attempt wide.

Fulham went close to getting on the scoresheet in the first minute of stoppage time when Plumain got on the end of a deep Evans free-kick, but the visitors would have the final say when Silva picked the ball up in his own half, spotted Rodák off his line, and found the net in perfect style.

It brought the curtain down on Fulham’s Premier League International Cup campaign, but there was no lack of effort and passion from Peter Grant’s boys.

Match Information

Competition: The Premier League International Cup

Date: Wednesday 22 April 2015
Kick-off: 7:00pm

Venue: Motspur Park, Surrey
Attendance: 232

Fulham U21s

Line-up: Rodak; Sheckleford, Buatu, Donnelly, Evans; O'Halloran (Baba 42'), Smile, Edun (de la Torre 70'); Roberts, Dembélé, Plumain

Unused substitutes: Norman, Redford

FC Porto U21s

Line-up: Nunes; Bruno, Lichnovsky, Silva; Ramos, Podstanski (Paulovski 54'), Silva, Alves; Maciel (Trabulo 83'), Paciencia, Silva (Oliveira 75')

Unused substitutes: Monteiro, Graca, Costa, Vega

Fulham U21s (4-3-3)
  • 1Marek Rodak
  • 2Ryheem Sheckleford
  • 5Jonathan Buatu
  • 6Liam Donnelly
  • 3Jordan Evans
  • 10Dean O'Halloran
  • 4Joshua Smile
  • 8Tayo Edun
  • 7Patrick Roberts
  • 9Moussa Dembélé
  • 11Ange-Freddy Plumain
  • 14Noe Baba
  • 16Luca de la Torre
  • 12Magnus Norman
  • 17Aaron Redford
FC Porto U21s (3-4-3)
  • 24Ricardo Nunes
  • 42David Bruno
  • 43Igor Lichnovsky
  • 84Diogo Silva
  • 48Francisco Ramos
  • 56Tomas Podstanski
  • 78Leandro Silva
  • 45Luis Alves
  • 67Frederic Maciel
  • 39Goncalo Paciencia
  • 49Andre Silva
  • 41Aldo Monteiro
  • 50Joao Graca
  • 57Romel Costa
  • 58Marko Paulovski
  • 60Luis Trabulo
  • 68Anderson Oliveira
  • 71Raul Vega